SIDNEY — The Community Foundation of Shelby County hosted a gathering, Friday, Dec. 15, in the Amos Memorial Library’s Community Room, to reveal the final totals of donations received during its Match Day fundraiser.
Match Day was created to celebrate the Community Foundation’s 65th anniversary. The foundation offered a total of $65,000 to 13 local charities, which each received a dollar-for-dollar match up to $5,000.
The 13 organizations raised a total of more than $165,000. With the foundation’s match, an amount exceeding $230,000 was announced and distributed to these charities on Friday. A representative from each charity attended the event to accept the donation check and give a brief overview of how the money will be used within the organization.
Participating charities were selected as a result of having a nonprofit tax status and an organization fund within the Community Foundation. Gifts received were not placed into the fund at the foundation, but instead were given directly to the charities to be put to use on their projects and needs.
Jessica Fortkamp, Community Foundation donor relations director, served as the announcer for Friday’s event. She noted that each charity exceeded the matching amount.
“We are overwhelmed by each charity’s efforts to motivate their donors and by the generosity of people who gave,” she said in a prepared statement.
Including the Community Foundation’s $5,000 match, totals distributed to each charity were:
• Alpha Community Center, $28,350.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Shelby and Darke County, $14,610.
• Compassionate Care of Shelby County, $17,260.
• Operation Rebirth, $17,390.
• Right to Life of Shelby County, $14,590.
• S&H Products, $14,090.
• Senior Center of Sidney-Shelby County, $19,815.
• Shelby County Arc, $12,371.
• Shelby County Historical Society, $23,630.
• Shelby County United Way, $13,390.
• Sidney First United Methodist Church, $11,600.
• Sidney-Shelby County YMCA, $19,765.
• Wilma Valentine Childcare, $26,635.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4825.