SIDNEY — Area blood drive sponsors will mark January National Blood Donor Month by hosting local blood drives. “The Donor Tee” long-sleeve T-shirt is free to everyone who registers to donate at community and business blood drives. Schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call 800-388-GIVE.
Community Blood Center is encouraging all eligible community members to begin the year by giving blood. The limited edition “The Donor Tee” long-sleeve t-shirt is bright blue with “Donor” in bold, white letters along the left arm. It’s available Tuesday, Jan. 2, through Saturday, Jan. 20 ,when you register to donate at a CBC Donor Center and most CBC mobile blood drives.
Winter is a challenging time of year for maintaining the area blood supply. The holidays, severe weather and seasonal illnesses prevent many from donating and can disrupt CBC’s blood drive schedule. If you must miss an appointment to donate please reschedule as soon as possible.
The challenges for sustaining our region’s blood supply go beyond the usual demands of the winter season. CBC enters the New Year with the mission of building a new community of dedicated platelet and plasma donors.
The automated process of giving platelets and plasma is called “apheresis” and the number of these special donors is dwindling. CBC’s most dedicated donors are ageing, with about 53 percent of the donor base now over the age of 50.
January is National Blood Donor Month, a traditional time to thank donors and encourage donations during the winter months. Rep. Steve Huffman of Miami County, an ER physician and lifetime donor, is currently leading an effort in the Ohio General Assembly to designate January Blood Donor Awareness Month in Ohio.
CBC will focus in the New Year on calling for young people to become the “next generation of donors” and asking new and current donors to help CBC meet the challenges of the future by becoming apheresis donors.
January blood drives include:
• Jan. 2, Immaculate Conception Church, Botkins, 3 to 7 p.m., community blood drive
• Jan. 4, Russia High School, Russia, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., student blood drive
• Jan. 5, Peerless Food Equipment, Sidney, 8 to 11 a.m., employee &community blood drive
• Jan. 8, Urbana Church of Christ in Christian Union, Urbana, 3 to 7 p.m., community blood drive
• Jan. 11, Airstream, Jackson Center, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 16, Sidney American Legion, Sidney, 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., sponsored by Wilson Health, community blood drive
• Jan. 18, Honda Transmission, Russell’s Point, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 24, Mary Rutan Hospital, Bellefontaine, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., community blood drive
• Jan. 24, Emerson, Sidney, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 25, Cargill, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 25, Emerson, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 26, Urbana High School, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., student blood drive
• Jan. 30, Honda of America, Anna, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive
• Jan. 31, Honda of American, Anna, 4 to 8 p.m., employee blood drive
The Community Blood Center is honored to recognize these “Donors for Life”
• 270 donations: Diane Meyer, Fort Loramie
• 140 donations: Julianne Simon, Fort Loramie
• 130 donations: Louis Nolte, Botkins
• 120 donations: Mary Larger, Russias; Ronald Eiting, Minster; Brian Barhorst, Minster
• 110 donations: Charlie Hoehne, Fort Loramie
• 100 donations: Rose Meyer, Fort Loramie; Robert Sturwold, Houston
• 75 donations: Galen Collier, Sidney
• 60 donations: Steve Luthman, Anna
• 50 donations: Kenneth Madden, Sidney; Karen Seger, Houston
• 40 donations: Marian Homan , McCartyville, Diane Iiams, Anna; Mike Luthman; Jessica Poeppelman, Fort Loramie
• 30 donations: Rebecca Barhorst, Fort Loramie; Peter Matzig, Sidney
• 25 donations: Pat Simon, Russia; Rachel Echols, Sidney;
• 20 donations: Karen Karrigan, Anna; Jane Luthman, Botkins; Carol Bowser, Steven Schroeder, Sidney; Allison Gariety, Russia
• 10 donations: Dave Aselage, Fort Loramie;Tyler Huelskamp, Fort Recovery; Mike Albers, Deb Nagel, Greg Marquis,Aaron Heilers, Kyle Hoying, Scott Weiskittel, Anna; Matt Koverman, McCartyville; Robin Carr, Pemberton; Tony Winner, Fort Loramie
• 5 donations: James Stephens, Anna; Erika Grogean, Versailles; Kaitlin Eilerman, Matt Bertke, Fort Loramie
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU