COLUMBUS – The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is offering multiple volunteer cleanup days during the months of April and May. What better way to help improve the quality of life in your community than to improve a local state park or state nature preserve? Park cleanup days have become a popular way for groups and individuals to do something “green” to celebrate Earth Day and give back to their communities.
• Spring Cleanup Event at Maumee Bay State Park – Volunteer for an opportunity to help with spring cleanup at Maumee Bay State Park on Saturday, April 23. For more information, call 419-836-8828 or 419-836-7758.
• Lake Cleanup Day at Grand Lake St. Marys State Park – Come out and celebrate Earth Day by cleaning away winter debris on Saturday, April 23, from 9 a.m. to noon. Meet at East Bank, West Bank or Windy Point. For more information, call 419-394-3611.
• Litter Cleanup Event at Portage Lakes State Park – Join the Portage Lakes Advisory Council on Saturday, April 23, from 9 a.m.-noon. for a litter cleanup project. Meet at the first parking lot at the state park on Manchester Road. Pizza will be served from 12-1 p.m. at the Tudor House. For more information, call 330-644-2220 or visit portagelakesadvisorycouncil.org.
• River Sweep Cleanup Event at Stonelick State Park and East Fork State Park – Volunteer for this event on Saturday, April 23, from 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 513-732-7075 or visit clermontswcd.org.
• Garlic Mustard Pull and Invasive Shrub Control at Lake Katharine State Nature Preserve – Join staff in removing invasive species to open habitat for the diverse spring flora found in this area of Ohio’s Appalachian forest on Saturday, April 23, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For more information, contact the Ohio Natural Areas and Preserves Association to register at onapa.org/stewardship-project-registration.html.
• Spring Cleanup at Lake Milton State Park – Participate in a park-wide cleanup of the Lake Milton area on Saturday, April 30, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers should go to the maintenance shop at 9 a.m. to be assigned an area. For more information, call the park office at 330-654-4989.
• Park Cleanup Day at Findley State Park – Join staff at the campground on Saturday, May 21, from 10 a.m. to noon to clean up the park, plant flowers and paint. A hot dog lunch will be served at noon. For more information, call the park office at 440-647-5749, ext. 100 or ext. 102.
• Garlic Mustard Removal at Collier State Nature Preserve – Help remove this invasive species on Friday, May 27, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For more information or to register, contact the Ohio Natural Areas and Preserves Association at onapa.org/stewardship-project-registration.html.
Ohio’s 74 state parks and 136 state nature preserves have become favorite places for residents to participate, enjoy and benefit from the American tradition of community service. Consider getting outside and volunteering to help make Ohio’s green spaces more enjoyable.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU