SIDNEY — The Shelby County Agricultural Society voted to opt out of responsibilities of and assistance to junior fair exhibitors and to opt out of the outstanding market project competition in the livestock exhibitions during the 2016 county fair.
The action was taken during the fair board’s April 20 regular meeting.
In other action, the board:
• Approved a 2016 junior fair budget of $22,610.43.
• Voted to change the bylaws of the society to include text that is required by the Internal Revenue Service for an organization to be designated a 501(c)(3) nonprofit under the tax code.
• Approved the purchase of 4,800 trash bags for the upcoming fair, at a cost of $56.30 per hundred.
• Voted to purchase new stall sections for the speed barn at a cost of $250 per section.
• Approved a request by the cattleman’s association to fill with gravel a low spot behind Show Arena 1.
• Denied a request by a harness racing person who offered to water the track during the off season. The board did not want to assume the cost of the water.