Basement fire caused by combustible material close to furnace


Staff report



SIDNEY — At 10:25 p.m., Friday, Jan. 27, 2017, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to a report of a basement fire at 134 Pike St., Sidney, Ohio.

When firefighters arrived, they found light smoke on the first floor and heavy smoke in the basement. The fire was extinguished and the home was ventilated to remove smoke and carbon monoxide.

The structure is a two story, single family home owned by Brenda Wellbaum. Wellbaum, three other adults and one juvenile occupy the home and they were all able to evacuate without injury after being alerted to the fire by a smoke detector.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters during the firefighting operations.

A box alarm was called to recall all off-duty Sidney Fire personnel and mutual aid was received from Anna and Lockington Fire Departments.

The fire was caused by combustible material being stored too close to the furnace.

The home sustained approximately $4,000 in damage to the structure and $1,000 to the contents.

Vectren and DP&L were called to the scene to secure the utilities to the structure and the Red Cross was called to assist the occupants.

Staff report