Out of the past


125 Years

May 11, 1892

The vote taken in the local schools on Arbor Day shows that the buckeye was the overwhelming choice for the state tree. It received 549 votes, with the oak the nearest competitor with 80 votes. In the balloting for the state flower, goldenrod nosed out the lily by a vote of 183 to 175. Twenty-two different trees and 30 flowers received votes.

100 Years

May 11, 1917

Charles Given was reported better today after his car was struck by a Big Four train at the Ohio Avenue crossing late yesterday afternoon. His auto stalled on the tracks and was struck as Mr. Given was endeavoring to push it off. He suffered a broken arm in addition to other minor injuries.

75 Years

May 11, 1942

Forty-nine students serving on school safety patrols in Sidney, Jackson Center, Botkins, and Pemberton, were honored and rewarded at a dinner Saturday evening at the Hotel Wagner. The dinner was sponsored by the Shelby County Motor Club. C.L. Seving, manager of the motor club, presided at the meeting.

50 Years

May 11, 1967

Seaman Steven Wearly, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Wearly of 705 Taft Street, is serving aboard the destroyer USS Walker in Japan as part of a six-month tour slated to end at Vietnam. The tour began last month from Pearl Harbor, home port of the Walker.

———

Directed toward a better understanding by members regarding the meaning and operation of a modern parish, the Holy Angels Parish Council was recently organized here.

Officers of the council are: William Ross, Jr., executive secretary, and Mrs. Walter Bunnell, recording secretary. Other members are: Father Vincent Robers, Father John Bensman, Father Jerome Buck, Marion Francis, Herb Schlater, Jacque Frantz, Karl Freytag, Mrs. Herbert Hoying, Sam Bender, Dr. John Biegel, James McClain, Sister Mary Rosaire, Sister Mary Philomena, Adrian Francis, Thomas Kerrigan, Hudson Flinn, James Mawhorr, Miss Margaret Quinlisk, Raphael Echemann and Lawrence Sherman.

25 Years

May 11, 1992

April 6 was not only opening day for the Cincinnati Reds, it was also “opening day” for a new recycling facility in town, the Recycling Haus, 602 Broadway Ave.

Formerly known as Kastner’s Scrap Iron and Metal, the business is now owned by Dwight Althaus, who intends to continue and build the company’s operation buying ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2017/05/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-6.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU