Out of the past


125 Years Ago

June 5, 1892

At 4 p.m. this afternoon William Shine received a telegram from Congressman Layton to the effect that the Hon. James G. Blaine has resigned as secretary of state, and that the same had been promptly accepted. This means war.

———

This was the third regular market day, and the third time no market was held. An effort, however was made to get it started. A man with a load of provisions took a position in North street at 10 o’clock. He had neither opposition or patrons, and after waiting a time he drove away. The market location although named in the ordinance, will probably be changed. The residents of North street do not want it, and some of those on East Court street are anxious for it.

100 Years Ago

June 5, 1917

The registration of the young men in Sidney and Shelby county under the draft law was being conducted today without the slightest trouble or disturbance throughout the county. Registration during the morning was heavy, it being estimated that at least two-thirds of those eligible had registered before the noon hour. The registration headquarters at the different precincts will remain open until 9 o’clock this evening.

———

The Sidney band went to Piqua this afternoon to take part in the patriotic parade to be held in that city this evening. The band will escort the Piqua Elks Lodge.

75 Years Ago

June 5, 1942

Frank P. Elsass, of Anna, former member of the state legislature, and a former clerk of the Ohio House of Representatives, died yesterday in St. Rita’s hospital at Lina, where he had been a patient following surgery several days ago. For the past 20 years he has been a partner in the Elsass Meyer Constuction Co. specializing in bridge building.

———

Miss. Margaret Long, a former president of the girls’ athletic association at the high school was named “Miss Liberty” at the Sidney High School annual band and folk festival held last evening in the school auditorium. The program had originally been planned for Julia Lamb field, but was moved indoors because of bad weather.

50 Years Ago

June 5, 1967

New officers were installed, and awards presented, when the Sidney Jaycees held their annual ball Saturday night at the Moose country club. Maurice Cron, Coldwater, public relations director of the Ohio Jaycees installed the following new officers: Don Lochard, president: Ed Wical internal vice-president: Dick Rumpff: external vice president; Joh Keysor, secretary: Warren Barry, treasurer. Mike Boller, Gene Brown, Grant Kallau, Jim Lockwood, and Dick Pope were installed as directors, with Jim Davis as past president and state trustee.

———

Mrs. Thomas Dunnavant was installed as the new president of the Lowell Parent Teacher Association when the group held its annual meeting of the current year May 23. Serving with Mrs. Dunnavant will be Mrs. Robert Jones, vice-president; Mrs. Tom Ehler, secretary; and Mrs. John Eubanks, treasurer.

25 Years Ago

June 5, 1992

Two annex buildings at the former Shelby County Children’s Home will be razed as a result of action taken by the Shelby County Commissioners. Commissioners William Leighty, Thomas Zimpher and Adolf “Sunny” Meyer unanimously decided to to proceed with the demolition project at 1200 Children’s Home Road. Both Leighty and Meyer stressed the project does not involve the actual Children’s Home building closed in 1976. Leighty explained the 2-1/2 story reddish brick annexes , to the right and left of the main building were once used as dormitories . The Commissioners went on to explain that “We still hope to get a county department to move out there.” It would make a nice location for some department and we certainly don’t plan to tear it down”

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2017/06/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-3.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org