Out of the past


125 Years Ago

June 24, 1892

The board of country commissioners has accepted from the contractor the new insane annex to the infirmary. Erection of the building was started last August. It was to have been finished Jan 1, but the weather and other matters combined against the contractor. The building represents an investment of $12,300. It contains 24 cells, 12 on each of two floors. The county farm and its buildings represent a value of $50,000. The farm of 158 acres, purchased in 1866, cost $8,500. The infirmary, finished in 1869, cost $30,000, and the asylum the remainder of the sum.

100 Years Ago

June 24, 1917

With the arrival earlier this week of the charter for a Shelby county chapter of the American Red Cross, a meeting was held yesterday afternoon to effect a permanent organization in the county. The following officers were elected: W.T. Amos: chairman; W.A. Graham, treasurer: W.E. Kilborn, vice chairman; P.R. Taylor, secretary, and Mrs. Jean Laughlin, assistant secretary. The subscription lists have been opened for memberships.

———

G.H. Brell has purchased the furniture and undertaking business of Ernest Leininger at Anna, and has taken over the operation of the business. Mr. Brell is a graduate of the Cincinnati College of Embalming. Mr. Leininger plans to move, to New Holland in a short time.

75 Years Ago

June 24, 1942

The first of a series of Sunday evening services under the sponsorship of the Shelby County Ministerial Association will be held tomorrow evening. The services will be held in the high school stadium during the balance of June and through July. Dr. D.L. Browning, of the Methodist church ;Rev. E.L. Hurley, First Baptist, and Rev. J.A. Long, Church of Christ, are members of the planning committee.

———

Late commers in the police auxiliary of the civil defense will have a special training session tomorrow evening at the city building. Patrolmen Jackson, Simmons, Warner, Elsass and Chief William O’Leary will instruct.

50 Years Ago

June 24, 1967

Military service is ahead for Dr. David L. Fields who recently received his doctor of dental surgery degree from Ohio State university. He received a commission of lieutenant in the active Navy Reserves and will report July 1 at Parris Island Marine Base, South Carolina. A 1960 graduate of Sidney High School, Dr. Fields received a bachelor of science degree in 1964 from Capital University. He is a member of XI Psi Phi professional fraternity.

———

AUSTIN, Tex. –Patrick Lyndon Nugent, a day old robust Texan, probably will meet his grandfather, the President of the United States, this weekend.

25 Years Ago

June 24, 1992

The Sidney area was under an emergency alert Thursday afternoon after a mass of swirling funnel clouds was spotted on the western edge of town. The rapidly churning clouds, which could have spawned a tornado, eventually dissipated without touching down. The National Weather Service in Vandalia believes no tornado touched down in Shelby County. In Green Township, however; a farm building was destroyed and a door ripped off a house when strong winds blew through the area.

http://www.sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2017/06/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-17.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org