Carbon monoxide detector saves lives


SIDNEY — As winter heating season approaches, the Sidney Department of Fire & Emergency Services would like to take this opportunity to remind our resident about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

A local resident called 911 on Aug. 28, to report a potential CO concern. The resident, was alerted by the CO detector and it was displaying a level greater than 100ppm (parts per million) level inside the home. SFD responded to find a dangerous level of CO in the house and lethal levels in the garage. The cause was a vehicle that was left running in an attached garage. The family evacuated the home and is safe without injury. The family was able to find alternative lodging for the night. They are now back home safe and sound.

Although the popularity of carbon monoxide (CO) detectors has been growing in recent years, it cannot be assumed that everyone is familiar with the hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home (NFPA). A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time. For detailed information about CO, please visit http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/fire-and-life-safety-equipment/carbon-monoxide

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide issues include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness and headaches.

Quick facts about carbon monoxide: it’s colorless, odorless and is a product of incomplete burning of fuels (gasoline, wood, propane, natural gas, etc).

Sources include of carbon monoxide include vehicles and generators running in an attached garage; heating equipment; cooking equipment; and water heating equipment.

CO detectors can be purchased at many local retailers. As always look for the UL symbol when purchasing this type of product. In partnership with the Local Elks Lodge, the Sidney Fire Department has CO detectors available to citizens with limited financial resources. Visit the department during the normal business of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Staff report