Out of the past


125 years ago

Sept. 1, 1892

A new orchestra has been organized here and will be known as the Opera House orchestra. The following members compose it: Charles Martz, first violin; Joseph Bridgett, second violin; Henry Klute, clarinet; Edward Bland, trombone; Joseph Wurstner, cornet; Samuel Roberts, bass; Mrs. P.F. Sarver, piano. The rehearsals will take place at Sarver’s Music store.

100 years ago

Sept. 1, 1917

The raising of hogs within the city limits was brought to the attention of city council at its special meeting last evening when Councilman Baker proposed to council that it take action allowing each man in Sidney to keep and raise a hog or two. The solicitor informed him that this was a matter entirely under the supervision of the board of health.

75 years ago

Sept. 1, 1942

Francis W. Durbin, state central committeeman for the Fourth Congressional district, announced today the appointment of H.A. Amos, of Sidney, to represent the district on the State Democratic Executive committee.

50 years ago

Sept. 1, 1967

The U.S. Civil Service Commission in Washington announced today that applications for an examination for postmaster of Sidney will be accepted until Sept. 26. The position pays $9,221 a year.

———

Four Shelby County 4-H club members were rated “outstanding” this week at the Ohio State Fair following demonstrations and food interviews.

Chipper Lutz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Lutz, received his honor for a soldering demonstration. Kathy DeWeese, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lowell DeWeese, was honored for her Breads project. Verna Lou Kies, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Kies, won for her Quick Meals project. Jo Ellen Helmlinger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Helmlinger, was honored for her Tasty Meals project.

25 years go

Sept. 1, 1992

Judge John Schmitt has approved the sale of about $9,000 in inventory and equipment owned by Ehrhardt’s Flowers and Gifts Inc. to a Sidney woman who plans to open a new shop at the business’s former downtown Sidney location.

According to an order Schmitt handed down in Shelby County Common Pleas Court, court-appointed receiver Robert P. McReynolds was authorized to sell $4,000 in inventory and $5,050 in equipment to Kathy Kingseed of Sidney. McReynolds was appointed receiver to oversee the operation of Ehrhardt’s until the outcome of a lawsuit over a proposed sale of the business last year.

.neFileBlock {
margin-bottom: 20px;
}
.neFileBlock p {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}
.neFileBlock .neFile {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #aaa;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-top: 10px;
}
.neFileBlock .neCaption {
font-size: 85%;
}

http://www.sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2017/09/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org