Firefighters investigate incident at SHS


Staff report



SIDNEY — Sidney Fire Department was dispatched to Sidney High School, 1215 Campbell Road, Tuesday morning at 11:18 a.m. on an odor investigation in the science hall of the school.

Upon arrival, students were being removed from the science hall and were relocated to another location within the school.

Firefighters preformed an investigation of the room with the odor, with monitoring equipment and detectors. The monitors did not detect any dangerous levels of odors or vapors. Ventilation was completed in the room with the odor.

Fifteen people complained of symptoms. Five students were transported to Wilson Health for evaluation, and the other students were picked up by their parents at the school. One school official was also checked out by medical personnel and remained on scene.

The possible cause of the odor was from formaldehyde and/or sewer gas in the science storage area. The air handling system was not working properly in this area of the school earlier in the day, which caused a lack of ventilation for this area of the school.

All other areas of the school were safe and continued with the normal daily routine.

All four Sidney Fire ambulances were on scene. Staffing was re-called to man the Sidney Fire Stations. Medic units from Anna Rescue staffed Station 1; while Perry Port Salem EMS handled one EMS calls during the incident.

No injuries were reported by firefighters.

Staff report

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU