SIDNEY — State Issue 1, also known as Marcy’s Law, won voters’ support Tuesday night.
Shelby County voted 7,313 for the law to the 1,759 who voted no.
State Issue 1, also known as Marcy’s Law, is a citizen-initiated amendment of Article I, Section 10, of the Ohio Constitution for equal rights for crime victims.
Marcy’s Law will ensure the following rights to victims of crime:
• To be treated with respect, fairness and dignity throughout the criminal justice proceedings;
• To receive information about their rights and services available to crime victims;
• To receive timely notification of proceedings and other major developments in their case, and of changes to the offender’s custodial status;
• To be present at court proceedings and provide input to a prosecutor before the plea deal is finalized;
• To be heard at plea or sentencing proceedings or any process that may result in the offender’s release;
• The right to restitution.
Reach the writer at 937-539-4823.