Dig deep


Dig deep

By Benjamin Budde - Contributing columnist



There are many reasons we dig in the dirt: for fun, water, food, etc. but in a deeper sense, we dig to find stability! What do I mean by that? We dig to find stable ground to build on, from sidewalks to skyscrapers. And if don’t dig for wells and for food to farm, this would cause our bodies to starve — leaving us in an unstable condition which would cause our bodies to be weak and die — only to have a hole dug for us to be buried in.

The Holy Bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:20, “All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust.” — Referring to the body and not the soul. For God made the first body of man from dirt and breathed in his nose the breath of life in Genesis 2:7. A post by Indiana University Health stated, ” It’s element(ary). Six elements make up almost 99 percent of the human body’s mass: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus. All of these elements — and several others — make up the earth as well.” Which makes me wonder about the other 1 percent — could that possibly be our soul, our conscience?

We have to have a soul in our body to be aware of life and all its surroundings of rights and wrongs, to dig and build our relationships. Jesus talks not of only digging, but digging deep in a relationship with Him in the book of Luke 6:46-49, “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

We have to dig deep into our relationship with Jesus! It’s not between our family, friends or our leaders. It’s between you and Jesus. To know Him and His word is the call in life. That is why Jesus is telling us to dig deep to put aside the dirt and keep moving. I see the little pebbles in the sandy dirt as a metaphor of all the different opinions we and other people have. We have to dig deep past them in our relationship with God, and when we get down to the rock we will find the foundation of life, Jesus! Then we can build on what God has called us to do and we won’t be shaken or moved by the storms of life because we dug deep into our relationship with Jesus! You went through the whirlwinds of empty words, the storms of personal doubt, swimming in the waves of unbelief, digging through the sand of peoples’ opinions seeking for the solid ground!

We have seen what happens when building your life and relationships on other peoples opinions; the effects are confusion and hurt. Building a life on opinions won’t last. Why? Because we, the people, change in the blink of an eye! But digging deep in our relationship with Jesus Christ the Rock will give our life stable ground to build on and we will not be shaken from the passing storms of life, for Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever! (Hebrews 13:8)

http://www.sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2018/01/web1_Budde-Benjamin-2.jpg
Dig deep

By Benjamin Budde

Contributing columnist

The writer is a husband, father, preacher, writer, artist, musician and songwriter. Ben and his wife, Missy, reside with their three sons in St. Marys.

The writer is a husband, father, preacher, writer, artist, musician and songwriter. Ben and his wife, Missy, reside with their three sons in St. Marys.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU