RUSSIA — During the July 18 regular meeting of the Russia Local Schools Board of Education, Superintendent Steve Rose noted that Barb Cordonnier, the administrative assistant to the principal, would retire as of July 31.
Cordonnier had given the school 30 years of service. However, she won’t be totally absent from the system. At the same meeting, the board approved hiring her as a part-time ticket-taker at Russia games.
The board also voted to extend the contracts of Rose and Treasurer Mary Jean Borchers by one year each, to July 31, 2021. Rose’s annual salary is $102,500. Borchers’s is $80,000.
Other hires approved by the board are as follows: Sheila Magoto as a summer school aide at a rate of $13.07 per hour; Janel Slonkosky as dean of students at a salary of $6,500 for the school year; Jana Salisbury and Carrie Schulze as senior class play advisers at an annual salary of $515 each; Terry Daugherty as varsity boys golf coach at an annual salary of $1,887; Amber Cordonnier as a site coordinator on a per game basis and as a ticket-taker at games; Rodney Counts as a site coordinator on a per game basis; Lori Cordonnier, at a rate of $12.45 per hour, and Lauren Schulze, at a rate of $12.95 per hour, as one-to-one aides for special needs students; and Linda Scott and Ola Schafer as ticket-takers at games.
In other business, the board:
• Approved student fees, athletic admission prices, student and faculty handbooks, bus routes and a program service agreement with the Midwest Regional Educational Service Center.
• Passed a motion to set $2.15 as the lunch fee for students in grades 1-6, $2.40 for students in grades 7-12 and $2.50 for adults.
• Authorized the district to participate in several federal and state funding programs.
• Authorized the superintendent to modify the bus routes as needed.
• Approved a $20 per season per athlete activity fee for the 2018-2019 school year.
• Approved a contract with the Midwest Regional Educational Service Center to emply Mark Travis as a part-time physical education teacher.
• Accepted a donation of $800 by the Russia Athletic Boosters to support scholarships.
• Moved into executive session to discuss personnel employment and administrative compensation. No action was taken following the session.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4824.