ST. MARYS — Midwest Electric recently donated $12,450 to 17 west-central Ohio charities and community projects through the cooperative’s Community Connection Fund.
Since the program started in 1998, the Midwest Electric Community Connection Fund has provided $1,053,039 to 879 area projects.
The latest recipients of grants include:
• St. Anthony Dinner Theater; $1,500 to assist families with medical bills
• Children’s Dev. Center of Lima; $1,200 to purchase two laptops
• Choosing Life Pregnancy Center, Celina; $1,000 toward a vehicle
• Foundations of Behavioral Health, Celina; $1,000 toward a mini retreat for drug prevention
• Our Home Resource Center, Celina; $1,000 to purchase and install new flooring in the kitchen and hallway
• Children’s Hometown Holiday, Wapakoneta; $750 to rent portable ice skating rink
• Legacy Park Project, Cridersville; $750 to purchase six new lamp posts for park
• Mercer County Cancer Association; $750 to purchase a new computer
• Van Wert YMCA; $500 for two AED defibrillators
• Delphos Community Christmas Project; $500 for toys, clothes, and coats for kids
• Big Brothers Big Sisters (Mercer and Auglaize counties); $500 for lunch club program at St. Marys and Coldwater schools
• Wapakoneta High School; $500 for additional funding for teachers to assist at-risk students
• Village of Ft. Recovery; $500 to replace entrance sign to park
• Gospel Tent of Lima; $500 for gospel singing groups at Allen County Fair
• First Tech Challenge, Coldwater High School; $500 to fund FIRST Tech STEM robotics program
• SM City Schools; $500 to purchase sensory supplies for students
• Serving Friends and Families Ministry, Celina; $500 toward renovations on a home used as a temporary family shelter
The Midwest Electric Community Connection Fund is a voluntary charitable program. Participating members’ monthly electric bills are rounded up to the next dollar, with the additional pennies deposited in the fund. A Board of Trustees, composed of cooperative members and separate from the Midwest Electric Board of Trustees, oversees the application and allocation process.
Individuals or organizations can obtain an application by contacting Midwest Electric at 419-394-4110 or 1-800-962-3830.
Based in St. Marys, Midwest Electric is the not-for-profit, customer-owned electric cooperative serving 11,000 homes, farms, and businesses in Allen, Auglaize, Mercer, Van Wert, Shelby, Putnam, and Darke counties. To learn more, visit www.midwestrec.com.