FORT LORAMIE — Four contestants will compete for the 2016 Miss Independence crown, Friday, June 30, and 12 little girls will vie for the title of Little Miss Independence, Saturday, July 1.
The Friday event is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. and the Saturday pageant will begin at noon in the entertainment tent at the Fort Loramie Liberty Days Festival. They are free and open to the public.
Contestants in this year’s Miss Independence contest include:
• Heather Eilerman, 17, daughter of Tom and Denise Eilerman. She is sponsored by Fort Loramie GYM Committee.
• Jada Gaier, 17, daughter of Todd and Denise Gaier and Nikki and Eric Loudenback. She is sponsored by Gaier’s Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
• Brooke Raterman, 17, daugther of Ron and Jo Raterman. She is sponsored by All About You Salon & Spa.
• Jenna Rosengarten, 17, daughter of Charlie and Renee Rosengarten. She is sponsored by Fort Loramie Athletic Boosters.
Preliminary judging was June 25, at the Wilderness Trail Museum. At the preliminary event, the contestants were interviewed by the judges. They were evaluated on their poise and self-confidence, their responses to questions as well as their Patriotism Projects.
The Patriotism Project may be a community service project, something they’ve learned about in school, or any topic the contestant can relate to patriotism. The Patriotism Projects will be on display during the duration of the festival in the Central Tent.
The pageant will continue on Friday evening, June 30, with the live stage event in which the 2017 Miss Independence will be crowned. The new queen will receive a $750 scholarship and each other contestant will receive a $250 scholarship. The newly crowned Miss Independence will reign over the Liberty Days Festival from June 30 through July 2.
All Little Miss Independence contestants will receive T-shirts, sashes and participation trophies. The top three girls will win additional sashes and trophies and Little Miss Independence will also be awarded a tiara and a floral bouquet.
Chloe Scheer and Lauren Birkemeier will perform the National Anthem to open the Little Miss Independence pageant.
• Olivia Brandewie, 6, daughter of Stacy and Jeff Brandewie.
• Margeaux Hoying, 5, daughter of Theresa and Kevin Hoying.
• Londyn Middendorf, 5, daughter of Carrie and Mitch Middendorf.
• Eliana Moore, 6, daughter of Julia and Jeremy Moore.
• Lydia Poeppelman, 6, daughter of Jenny and Chris Poeppelman.
• Vera Grillot, 5, daughter of Lauren and Ryan Grillot.
• Alia Werner, 6, daughter of Sarah and Craig Werner.
• Lea Boerger, 6, daughter of Gina and Kevin Boerger.
• Lillian Barhorst, 6, daughter of Betsy and Eric Barhorst.
• Ashlyn Bergman, 6, daughter of Amy and Keith Bergman.
• Sophia Brandewie, 6, April and Kevin Brandewie.
• Olivia Sanders, 6, daughter of Christe and Jeff Sanders.