SIDNEY — Area blood drive sponsors will help the Community Blood Center (CBC) “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” by hosting blood drives during the month of July.
During July everyone who registers to donate will receive a free “Donor Surf Co.” surfboard T-shirt or waterbottle and everyone age 18 and older will also be entered in the Community Blood Center (CBC) “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” drawing to win an expense-paid deluxe Hawaii vacation for two. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call 800-388-GIVE.
The grand prize includes air travel and deluxe accommodations for eight nights at two island locations. All taxes, fees and meals are included. The vacation package also includes pre-paid activities and sight-seeing excursions, plus all ground transportation.Everyone age 18 and older who registers to donate with CBC through Aug. 28 will be automatically entered in the “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” drawing. REACH magazine is the media sponsor and The Flowerman is the fresh flower sponsor. Eligible donors can enter the drawing a second time when they register for a second donation during the blood drive period. Official rules are available at www.givingblood.org.
Maintaining the blood supply can be challenging during the summer months due to vacation travel and other changes in schedules. If you have to miss an appointment, CBC encourages you to reschedule when you are able. We especially encourage the continued support of type O whole blood donors and type A/B platelet and plasma donors.
Blood donation requirements: Donors are required to provide a photo ID that includes their full name. Past CBC donors are also asked to bring their CBC donor ID card. Donors must be at least 16 years of age (16 years old with parental consent: form available at www.givingblood.org or at CBC branch & blood drive locations), weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, and be in good physical health. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) changes blood donor eligibility guidelines periodically. Individuals with eligibility questions are invited to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1(800)388-GIVE. Make an appointment at www.DonorTime.com or call 1-800-388-GIVE(4483)
July blood drives include:
• July 2, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Sidney, 2 to 6 p.m., community blood drive.
• July 8, Emerson Climate Technologies, Sidney, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 9, Emerson Climate Technologies, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 9, Cargill, Sidney, noon to 4 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 10, Peerless Food Equipment, Sidney, 8 a.m. to noon, employee and community blood drive.
• July 14, Anna High School, sponsored by Anna Rescue Squad, 2 to 6 p.m., community blood drive.
• July 15, Sidney/Shelby Senior Center, Sidney, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., community blood drive.
• July 23, Advanced Composites, Sidney, 1 to 5 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 28, Sidney American Legion, sponsored by Wilson Memorial, 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., community blood drive.
• July 28, Honda of America, Anna, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 29, Sapa Extrusions, Sidney, 9 a.m. to noon, employee blood drive.
• July 29, Honda of America, Anna, 4 to 8 p.m., employee blood drive.
• July 30, Sidney Apostolic Temple, Sidney, 3 to 7 p.m., community blood drive.
The Community Blood Center is honored to recognize these “Donors for Life”:
• 210 donations: James Hoehne, Fort Loramie.
• 150 donations: Doris Ward, Sidney.
• 130 donations: Alan Luthman, Anna.
• 110 donations: Jack Hoying, Michael Siegel, both of Fort Loramie; Karen Pleiman, Sidney.
• 100 donations: Dan Magoto, Russia; Brian Barhorst, Minster.
• 90 donations: Rose Meyer, Fort Loramie; Robert Sturwold, Houston.
• 80 donations: Edward Sanders, Naomi Richards, both of Fort Loramie; Todd Phlipot, Versailles.
• 70 donations: Keith Bey, David Chaney, both of Fort Loramie.
• 60 donations: Rusty Woodward, Houston; John Dickman, Sidney; Coila Johns, Houston.
• 50 donations: Betty Buening, Sidney.
• 40 donations: Diane Magato, Russia; Mark Meinerding, Fort Loramie; Judith Regula, Rick Sailor, both of Jackson Center; Penny Shoffner, Sidney.
• 30 donations: Carol Hemmert, Sidney; Greg Woolley, Jackson Center.
• 25 donations: Sharon Lenhart, Jackson Center; Nancy Franklin, Sidney.
• 20 donations: Julia Moeller, Fort Loramie; Doug Voisard, Minster; John Esser, McCartyville; Amanda Viapiano, Sidney.
• 10 donations: Michael Jacob, Sidney; Tony Schmiesing, Fort Loramie; Karen Sprague, Lunn Rue, Marc Rue, all of Jackson Center.
• 5 donations: Darian Rose, Patricia Goldschmidt, Andrew Grewe, Jack Gephart, all of Fort Loramie; Bonnie Paulus, Russia; Dianne Ware, Jackson Center.
Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services is an independent, not-for-profit organization. Community Blood Center provides blood products to 24 hospitals within a 15-county service area in the Miami (Ohio) and Whitewater (Indiana) Valleys. For more information about Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services, visit www.givingblood.org.