SIDNEY — Area blood drive sponsors will help the Community Blood Center (CBC) “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” by hosting blood drives during the month of August.
During July everyone who registers to donate will receive a free waterbottle and everyone age 18 and older will also be entered in the Community Blood Center (CBC) “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” drawing to win an expense-paid deluxe Hawaii vacation for two. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call 800-388-GIVE.
The grand prize includes air travel and deluxe accommodations for eight nights at two island locations. All taxes, fees and meals are included. The vacation package also includes pre-paid activities and sight-seeing excursions, plus all ground transportation.Everyone age 18 and older who registers to donate with CBC through Aug. 28 will be automatically entered in the “Get on Board – Give Blood Summer Blood Drive” drawing. REACH magazine is the media sponsor and The Flowerman is the fresh flower sponsor. Eligible donors can enter the drawing a second time when they register for a second donation during the blood drive period. Official rules are available at www.givingblood.org.
Maintaining the blood supply can be challenging during the summer months due to vacation travel and other changes in schedules. If you have to miss an appointment, CBC encourages you to reschedule when you are able. Thw CBC encourages the continued support of type O whole blood donors and type A/B platelet and plasma donors.
Blood donation requirements: Donors are required to provide a photo ID that includes their full name. Past CBC donors are also asked to bring their CBC donor ID card. Donors must be at least 16 years of age (16 years old with parental consent: form available at www.givingblood.org or at CBC branch & blood drive locations), weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, and be in good physical health. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) changes blood donor eligibility guidelines periodically. Individuals with eligibility questions are invited to email [email protected] or call 800-388-GIVE. Make an appointment at www.DonorTime.com or call 800-388-GIVE (4483)
August blood drives include:
• Aug. 13, SpartanNash, Bellefontaine, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., employee blood drive.
• Aug. 14, Logan County Discovery Center, Bellefontaine, 1 to 4 p.m., community blood drive.
• Aug. 18, St Remy Hall, Russia, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., community blood drive.
• Aug. 25, Amos Center at Dorothy Love Community, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., community blood drive.
• Aug. 26, Mary Rutan Hospital, Bellefontaine, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., community blood drive.
The Community Blood Center is honored to recognize these “Donors for Life”:
• 210 donations, Emerson Wagner.
• 100 donations: John Minniear, Sidney.
• 90 donations: Victor Schulze, McCartyville.
• 80 donations: Kent Buehler, Botkins; Frank Brady, Sidney.
• 70 donations: Donald Gonley, Delphos.
• 60 donations: David Hart, Coldwater.
• 50 donations: Dave Abbott, Sidney; Elaine McCracken, James McCracken, Michael Kerrigan, all of Anna.
• 40 donations: Sharon Hoying, Sidney; Tim Kearns, William Dues, both of Russia.
• 30 donations: Bart Griesdorn, Maria Stein.
• 25 donations: Jacqueline Nuss, Ron Echols, Sidney; Elaine Fitchpatrick, Port Jefferson; Austin Sharp, Anna; Tom Seger, Fort Loramie.
• 20 donations: Gene Holthaus, Larry McNutt Jr, both of Sidney; Stan Egbert, Anna; Scott Ponchillia, Piqua; Joseph Burg, Lima.
• 10 donations: Bruce Runkle, Stephanie Roth, Bart Jones all of Sidney; Karen Dues, Anna; Bernie Poeppelman, Brian Holthaus, both of McCartyville; Caleb Ranly, Fort Loramie; Mike Griesh, Versailles.
• 5 donations: Dave VanHook, Sidney; Max Reineke, Huber Heights; Rebecca Berning, Anna; Carlow Chambers, Lima, Whitney Knief, Jackson Center; John Rodrigues, Celina; Shane Gearheart.
Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services is an independent, not-for-profit organization. Community Blood Center provides blood products to 24 hospitals within a 15-county service area in the Miami (Ohio) and Whitewater (Indiana) Valleys. For more information about Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services, visit www.givingblood.org.