SIDNEY — Julie Gilardi provided tips for gardeners who love birds during the October meeting of the Rainbow Gardeners club.
“Start with store-bought suet and add seeds, peanut butter or fruit,” she said. Other tips were the following:
• Black-oil sunflower attracts the widest variety of birds.
• Keep water out for birds.
• Keep feeders clean.
• Don’t cut back rudbeckia or coneflower because birds love the seeds.
In other business, the club:
• Set Dec. 6 for its annual Christmas Flower Show in the Amos Community Center at Dorothy Love Retirement Community. The show will be open to the public from 1 to 4 p.m. and will feature refreshments and a holiday boutique in addition to the flower arrangement exhibits.
• Learned from Nancy Morgan that design study will be Nov. 2 in the Shelby County Extension Office conference room on Fair Road. Juanita Wilkis will demonstrate and teach participants to make a luminary and a vertical design. The fee is $10. Participants must take their own containers and plant material. The study is open to the public. For information, call 497-9373.
Meeting hostesses were Sharon Allen and Ann Heely.