Dec. 7, 1915
J.M. Schiff, who resides on the Schiff farm, east of Swanders, is the fourth generation of the name to occupy the farm. About 1833, his great grandfather, J.M. Schiff, immigrated to this country from Germany and settled on the farm. He was succeeded by his son, J.M. Schiff, who in turn was followed y his son, J.M. Schiff, and in turn by his son, J.M. Schiff, the present owner.
One of the most enjoyable and unique affairs ever held in Sidney took place at the Wagner House last evening, when approximately 125 representative farmers of Shelby and surrounding counties were entertained at dinner by members of the Miami Valley Grain Dealers Association. The meeting was arranged by the grain dealers to discuss the matter of corn and other grain grading, and to get the reaction of the farmers as to the proposals being considered by the dealers.
Dec. 7, 1940
Shelby County’s first group of selective service men have been assigned to the First armored division at Fort Knox, Ky. for training, according to word received here. Freeman Cromer, Thomas McCrate and George Schloss were among the 300 men sent to Fort Knox following their induction at Fort Hayes in Columbus.
Dec. 7, 1965
Christmas candles will burn again tonight in the windows of Shelby County courthouse offices. Their absence has in recent days, led to a number of inquiries being made of officials. The candles had not been installed at the time other lights and Yule decorations were put in place for the 1965 holiday season. Investigation showed that the omission had been merely an oversight and immediate steps were taken to correct it.
Secretary of State Ted W. Brown has granted a non-profit corporation charter to the Tri-County Community Action Commission for Champaign, Logan and Shelby Counties. The corporation’s purpose clause states that it seeks to “… plan and coordinate programs designed to combat problems of poverty … as they affect the inhabitants of urban and rural communities in Champaign, Logan and Shelby Counties.” Listed as initial trustees are: George C. Burrey, R.R. 3, Sidney; Walter O. Loy, Botkins; and Paul R. Needles, 201 Cherokee Drive, Sidney.
Dec. 7, 1990
Christmas Sketch: A cheery candle lights the way in this drawing by Michael Thorpe. He is a student at Northwood School. There are now 18 days left before Christmas.
Photo: Two Sidney women, Sanna Aikin, 233 ½ N. Main Avenue, and Darci Shively, 764 E. Mason Road, do some window shopping Friday night in downtown Sidney. They are aided by the additional glow from the luminaries found in front of Sidney businesses. The project, which used candles in weighted milk jugs, was the work of the Downtown Retail Business Association and included the singing of Christmas songs by local Girl Scouts.
It appears the issue of a new county jail isn’t dead, despite rejection by Shelby County voters last November of an increase in sales tax to pay for construction of a new one. “We have to do something,” said Commissioner William Leighty. “The question is what.”
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org