Feb. 17, 1916
The Bimel Buggy Company has reincorporated as the Bimel Automobile Company, increasing its capital stock to half a million dollars. Founded in St. Marys in 1844 by William Bimel, the present company took charge of the plant here in 1905. The company has been building an automobile that has proven quite popular at $585.
Thomas Williams, wanted for murder here, has been arrested in New Iberia, La. According to word received here today by Chief of Police O’Leary, Williams has been charged with the death of Walter West of Aug. 21 of this year. The shooting incident occurred at a camp housing the men on highway construction work south of Sidney. O’Leary plans to leave tomorrow from Sidney to New Iberia, to return Williams to Sidney.
Feb. 17, 1941
March 12 has been set as the date for the sale of the John Wagner Brewing Co., it was announced today by O.S. Kenny receiver. The sale is to be conducted by the Ohio liquidating Co. of Dayton by order of the federal court. All land, buildings, equipment and goodwill are to be offered for sale.
For the second straight year the Shelby County basketball conference has ended with two teams sharing the championship and Botkins is a two time holder of the crown after topping Jackson Center from the unbeaten class last night on the Botkins court. Both teams ended with identical marks of 13 wins and one loss. Last year Anna tied with Botkins.
Feb. 17, 1966
Control of the three-mile strip of canal lands from Lockington to just north of Piqua will probably be taken over by the Ohio Historical Society later this month. This was indicated Tuesday in Columbus by Charles Pratt, the society’s superintendent of property. The transfer would be made by Ohio Canal Land authority. Plans of the historical society call for development of the Lockington area and the three-mile strip in conjunction with the restoration of the Johnston farm just north of Piqua. Plans of the society call for restoration for one or two of the locks at Lockington and the construction of a lock-tenders house to serve as a canal museum.
Feb 17, 1991
Shelby county voters will again be asked to consider a half percent increase in county sales tax to pay for the construction of a new jail. Shelby County Commissioners Sonny Meyer, William Leighty, and Thomas Zimpher voted Thursday to place the proposal on the May primary ballot.
The Pasco United Methodist Church will give special recognition Sunday during Sunday worship to Ernest Reeder. Reeder and his wife Wilda maintained a funeral home in Degraff. He is now retired. Reeder has been involved with the church conveying the Biblical message of “God’s Love.” In recent months he has made a number crosses and presented them to various churches and individuals. The idea was sparked when he received a pin in the shape of a cross bearing the inscription “God Is Love.” On the cross are several brief quotations from the Bible. The Pasco Church is pleased to have received one of his coveted crosses.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org