Out of the past


100 years

July 10, 1915

At a regular meeting of city council last evening, plans and specifications were presented for the proposed extension of Court Street under the C.H. & D Railroad and for the driveway under the Big Four Railroad on North Main Avenue. The members of council are making arrangements to submit the matter to a bond issue to a vote of the people at the election to secure funds by which these two improvements can be made. In another action, council authorized the director of public service to contract for building a fence at Graceland Cemetery.

–––––

Sidney’s most philanthropic resident, Mrs. Julia A. Lamb, is quietly celebrating her 91st birthday today at her home on Poplar Street. Mrs. Lamb had the extreme pleasure of seeing the Lamb playground which she has made possible, ready for use, and hundreds of children enjoying it.

75 years

July 10, 1940

Shelby County auto dealers elected officers for the new year when they held their meeting last evening at Beatley’s Hotel at Russells Point. Dorsey Nevergall was elected president of the group with the other officers including W. Elmo Arthur, vice president; Joseph J. Gilardi, secretary; C.E. Duff, treasurer; Ray H. Peltier, Forest L. Denise, A.G. Langhorst, William Wentz and Edwin Haas, members of the board of directors.

–––––

During the severe electrical storm yesterday afternoon, lightning struck the barn on the Edward Long farm three miles southeast of Botkins, setting fire to the structure. No one was in the barn at the time, although an employee was in the nearby granary and was slightly stunned when the bolt struck. The barn was a total loss, but the farm machinery was pulled to safety. This is the fourth fire Mr. Long has suffered during his farming life.

50 years

July 10, 1965

One of a chain of 163 Stuckey stores, founded in the depression year of 1931, opened today at the southeast corner of the intersection of Interstate 75 and State Route 119, east of Anna. The chain started when Stuckey began to buy pecans from his Dodge County, Ga., neighbors to sell in paper bags to tourists. The first retail store was founded in 1939 in Eastman, Georgia.

–––––

Last year about this time, there were rumors that Ohio was about to lose its two major league baseball franchises because of sagging attendance. What a difference a year can make. Today attendance of each club is running 100,000 above that of the first half of the 1964 season. The Cincinnati Reds lead the National League and Cleveland Indians are second in the American League. And fans are talking about an all Ohio World Series, although that is a bit premature.

25 years

July 10, 1990

What Laurie Sell of Wapakoneta thought was a fun ride in her dune buggy has turned into a bid deal before Botkins Village Council. Police chief Gene Drees charged her with driving an unlicensed motor vehicle on public streets. Ms. Sell contends the Ohio State Patrol inspected her dune buggy and approved it. Mayor Don Doll appeared to side with Drees. The story is to be continued.

–––––

The village of Anna will have a new commercial park. Developer Robert Kuck of New Bremen owns the 40 acre parcel, Village engineer Steve Worl has approved the park layout. It will be next to the existing industrial park south of Main near interstate 75.

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org