Aug. 8, 1915
The contract for the construction of Sec. C of the Sidney-Wapakoneta Road, of 2.75 miles, with water-bound macadam, was awarded today by the state highway commissioner to John F. Hipskind, of Richmond. Ind. on his bid of $26,800.
The biggest day in the history of the Sidney Church of the Brethren was observed yesterday. As early as 9 o’clock in the morning, people began to arrive at the “church on the hill.” In the afternoon the number of machines was 52. Thirty-five churches were represented, with some people coming from as far away as 75 miles. Fifteen ministers were present, with 400 present for Sunday School. By noon some 600 were on hand.
Aug. 8, 1940
Deputies in the county engineer’s office began today making the necessary surveys for the putting down of the proposed new sidewalks around the public square. The commissioners at a recent meeting approved a resolution authorizing the work to be done under WPA authority, with the engineer purchasing the necessary materials at a cost not to exceed $650. The work includes replacement of the walks around the square and those through the interior to the courthouse steps.
Opening of a new state park on Crawford Island at Lake Loramie was announced today in Columbus, by Conservation Commissioner Don Waters. The camp, which is open to picnickers and campers, was constructed through general revenue funds. Plans for 1941, the announcement said, include the construction of a public boating and fishing docks, a bathing beach, field sports areas, and a bridge from the west bank to shorten by two miles the approach to the park from the north.
Aug. 8, 1965
Wilson Lochard and Don Fogt have been named general chairmen for the Shelby County United Fund drive. George Burrey, president of the fund’s board of trustees, made the announcement. Lochard and Fogt working together, will share the responsibilities of general chairmanship, Burrey added.
The Sidney Kiwanis Club’s annual Chicken Barbecue will be held on Labor Day at the fairgrounds, Edwin Frey, club president, announced today. Well into the last half of Kiwanis International’s Golden Anniversary year, the Sidney club finds its community service program at an all-time peak of effectiveness, the announcement advised.
Aug. 8, 1990
NEW BREMEN – Sidney High School Assistant Principal Frank Borchers has accepted the position of New Bremen High School principal. Borchers, 36, will replace Wayne Johnson, who left the school to take a job at Tinora High School near Defiance. Borchers has worked in the Sidney City School District for 13 years.
Dorothy Love was a pretty little seven-year-old in 1922 when she was tragically killed when struck by an automobile. A local man who had taken a liking to the girl was so affected by her death that he convinced his two sisters to join him in donating land to the Presbyterian Church for use as an orphanage and a retirement home in her name.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org