Sept. 21, 1915
The “Marble Booster” a paper published at Marble, Gunnison county, Colo. has the following notice concerning the columns to be used on the new First National Bank building on the north side of the square: “Two of the most beautiful columns ever turned on a Colorado Yule lathe, were shipped this week to the bank at Sidney, O., mention of which job was recently made in this paper.” The columns are for the portal or main entrance of the new bank.
George W. Kline, general contractor and builder of the new Thedieck building, has erected some of the most beautiful structures in the country, among them being the magnificent Union Terminal station in Washington, D.C. He was also one of the contractors on the Congressional Library in Washington.
Sept. 21, 1940
The barn at the rear of the Henry Cianciola home, 423 South Miami avenue, was almost completely destroyed by fire shortly before 5 o’clock yesterday afternoon. The fire, of an undetermined origin, had gained considerable headway when discovered and the upper part of the building was a mass of flames when firemen reached the scene. Several nearby buildings were threatened and flames shooting high in the air burned off a number of telephone and electric power lines serving the southern part of the city.
Recognition was accorded the retiring officers when the opening meeting of the Business Girls Association was held last evening. Officers taking over their duties at the meeting were: Mrs. Eleanor Ross, president; Mrs. Mable Loudenback, vice president; Mrs. C.H. Roman, secretary; Miss Lela Shidaker, treasurer; trustees, Mrs. John Sexauer, Mrs. Louise Ambos, Miss Emma Schafer, Mrs. William Dover, Miss Mary Orbison, Mrs. Bonnie Sloan, and Miss Norma Hutchinson.
Sept. 21, 1965
The People’s Federal Savings and Loan Association building at the corner of South Ohio avenue and Court street, is one of a dozen locations in Ohio Selected by the Standard Oil Co. of Ohio for recognition in it its brochure “Architecture in the Ohio Heritage.” The selection of the Peoples Federal building is based on its being recognized as one of the outstanding examples of the work of Louis Sullivan, American architect. This marks the second recognition to be accorded the local financial institution building in recent months. The Ohio Historical Society recently cited the Peoples Federal Savings and Loan building as an “Historic Ohio Building.”
Sept. 21, 1990
With more than 100 years of combined experience with LeROI Division Dresser Industries Inc., of Sidney, a team of six large air end machinists have emerged as preliminary winners in the Case Studies In Competitiveness Competition. They will compete, as one of the 16 winning teams chosen out of 98 teams of non-management employees from 48 companies in Ohio, for the “Governor’s Award For Excellence In Manufacturing.”
WAPAKONETA — Thomas C. May, 912 Riverside Drive, Sidney, reported the theft of $237,000 early Saturday morning. According to a report by the Auglaize County Sheriff’s Department, May was robbed at gunpoint between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m. Saturday. May is a livestock dealer and was reportedly traveling to Archbold at the time of the holdup.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org