Nov. 6, 1915
Bids on the construction of the new post office building in this city, were opened in Washington yesterday. There were a number of bidders, the lowest being the Ohio Construction and Contracting Co. of Cincinnati. Their bid being $50,800 with an additional $3,500 should Bedford stone and colonnades be used. The appropriation for the building is $70,000.
Should Bedford stone be accepted, there would be left but $6,500 for the lighting and furnishing of the building which is not deemed sufficient. George Cline, who had charge of the construction of the Thedieck building, was one of the unsuccessful bidders. His bid was about $59,000.
A number of Sidney people are planning to attend the Miami-Denison football game to be played tomorrow at Dayton. The fact that two hometown boys, Fred Pruden and Louis McVay, will be on the Miami team has added much to the interest that is being shown in this game. Nearly 50 tickets for the game have been sold here. Among those known to be planning to attend are: Mr. and Mrs. Ed McVay, Bessie McVay, Mr. and Mrs. B.T. Bulle, H.L. Loudenback, Clarence and Mary Loudenback, Carl Custenborder, Chester Johnston, Laura Marshall, Wilda Watson, Robert Taylor, O.S. Kenny, Harry Custenborder, Sam Hetzler, Herbert Stockstill and Clark Pruden.
Nov. 6, 1940
Chief of Police William O’Leary announced this morning a crack-down on all gambling devices in the city. The action came following numerous complaints received by city officials. A letter from Safety Director B.J. Raterman instructs patrolmen to enter and inspect public places for gambling devices or actual gambling. A warning will be issued on first offense with prosecution to follow in subsequent cases.
The annual service on Sunday preceding Armistice Day, sponsored by the Sidney Post No. 217 of the American Legion and its auxiliary will be held Sunday evening in the First Methodist Church. F.E. Honnold, superintendent of schools at Mt. Gilead, Ohio, will be the speaker, with music to be furnished by the Sidney Singing Soldiers.
Nov. 6, 1965
Purchase by the Ralph J. Stolle Co. of 36.1 acres of land off County Road 25-A, north of Russell Road from R.D. Leapley, was disclosed by a deed on file today in the county recorder’s office.
A spokesman for the Stolle Corp. said that the tract was acquired by Stolle as an investment for as yet undetermined use in the future. The purchase price was not announced. This deal raises to more than 400 acres, the land acquired by Stolle in the Sidney area in recent years.
Member of the Charity League are sponsoring the production of “Pinocchio” November 14 at the Holy Angels High School, St. Marys Road. It will be presented by the Traveling Playhouse, an adult professional company performing for children and coming to Sidney from New York. Members of the League’s ways and means committee are Mrs. Paul Long, Jr., Mrs. Robert Westerbeck, Mrs. Stephen Corthell and Mrs. Robert Johnston.
A total of 130 new cars were sold by Shelby County dealers in the month of October, according to the monthly report of Clerk of Courts Thaleon Blake. New cars by make were: Ford, 39; Chevrolet, 33; Buick, 9; Plymouth, 9; Pontiac, 7; Mercury, 7 ; Dodge, 7; Oldsmobile, 7; Volkswagen, 4; Chrysler, 2; Rambler, 2; Lincoln, 2; Marlin and Cadillac, 1 each.
Nov. 6, 1990
The American Legion has a new poppy queen. Lena Laughlin was selected Poppy Queen of Post 217. She will head the annual fund raising poppy drive. Mrs. Laughlin has been involved with the legion auxilary for 47 years. Her husband, Adrian, was a World War I veteran.
A local business is having a banner year. Fab Tech has recently hired additional employees and sales territory. The company was originally known as K & K Manufacturing a name change. Lester and Marilyn Klocker founded the business. Jim Gaier is now the president of Fab Tech.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org