July 25, 1893
We sometimes hear persons say business is dull. It is true that business is not so active at this season of the year as at other times, but Sidney is having a good share of trade. One day this week a count was made of freight cars on the sidings of the Big Four and the C.H. & D. in Sidney and it was found there were just an even hundred. Some of these were filled ready for transportation, others had come in that morning and were placed ready to be filled, while others were either being loaded for shipment or were being unloaded.
At the meeting of the committee last evening in the interest of German Day, very favorable reports were made. The committee on finance so far as they have gone have met with very satisfactory response. Sidney may expect a very large crowd on German Day.
Klute’s band gave the finest concert ever given in Sidney in the court yard last evening. The crowd was unusually large.
July 25, 1918
The children of the Sidney Public schools are selling Thrift and War savings stamps under the direction of the following teachers who have volunteered their services: Misses Martha E. Brown, Maye Wilson, Harriett Cummins, May Wicoff, Coila Smoot, Lela Shidaker, Iva Frazier, Hazel Moser, Nan Robertson, Bonnie Davenport, Carolyn Griffis, Mary Dilon, and Mrs. Lottie Thorpe. Pupils report each morning at the high school from 9 to 11 to secure stamps for themselves and their customers. Sales now exceed $4,000.
With passage of the new appropriation bill, post office employees in Sidney, as in all other cities, will receive an increase in salary beginning this month. City carriers will receive an additional $200 a year and rural carriers $240 a year. The salary change does not affect postmasters.
Mrs. L.M. Studevant and Mrs. W.K. Sterline will motor to Lakeside tomorrow to spend the week attending the M.E. Church Foreign Missionary convention.
Reports from the battle front indicate that American, British and French forces continue to advance along the Aisne and Marne rivers.
July 25, 1943
The surprise daylight air raid test for Sidney and Shelby county will be staged sometime next week local civilian defense officials were advised today. State officials intimated that the problem that resulted last week, when the warning signal was not passed beyond Dayton has been corrected.
Dr. A.O. Brooke has opened a dental office in the former Dr. H.E. Beebe property on North Ohio avenue. Prior to coming here Dr. Brooke served two years with the U.S. Army as a captain. The family is residing in the Beebe property.
The annual Wooddell reunion has become a casualty of the war. Scheduled to be held at the community park in Troy next weekend, the reunion has been postponed for the duration of the war due to the rationing of tires and gasoline.
In a heavy coordinated attack that promises to cut Sicily in two, American and Canadian troops today captured the town of Enna, hub of all central Sicilian communications.
July 25, 1968
Appointment of Clayton Pepple, 897 South Ohio avenue, as principal at Sidney High School was announced today by Roger McGee, superintendent of the Sidney schools. Pepple will replace Glen Charles who resigned to accept the position of principal at Findlay High School.
With the final inspection of their racers out of the way, some 40 young race-car builders tomorrow afternoon will head toward the William A. Ross Derby Hill and the running of the 14th annual Sidney Soap Box Derby. On completion of the inspection and weigh-in, the racers were placed in storage at Kemac Packaging, Inc., building on East Poplar street. They will be transported to the top of the hill at noon tomorrow in time for the race scheduled to get under way at 2 o’clock.
Rev. Donald Ritzler, 39, pastor of St. James, The Less Church, Columbus, died of a heart attack early Friday morning at the church rectory. He was ordained at St. Charles as a priest of the Precious Blood order June 11, 1955. From 1855 to 1959 he was assistant pastor at St. John Church, Glandorf, and was at St. Remy Church, Russia, from 1959 to August of 1962 when he was assigned to St. James, The Less, Columbus.
July 25, 1993
The Firemen’s Picnic in Kettlersville was a great success. A report was given to the Daily News by Gus Larger, volunteer fire department chief. As usual, the firemen hosted a volleyball tournament and a whiffle ball tournament. Thousands attended the parade.
Local flooding has been devastating for many people. Sidney City school buildings have sustained damage. David McKay, director of operations and communications, reported the Parkwood School had seven inches of water in the basement. A number of the classrooms at Whittier Elementary have two inches of water.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org