125 Years Ago
October 4, 1893
With a view to obtaining better fire protection, some of the citizens of East Sidney have in mind making a proposition to the council at a future date. They propose asking permission to put in a line of water pipes with four or five fire plugs and attach the line to the city water supply near the old waterworks station across the river. A stated compensation would be paid the city for protection by the city fire department.
If the long-talked of Minster branch, connecting the Lake Erie and Western with other railroads in Piqua is not to be built, it is proposed in the latter city, that the Miami Valley Electric Railway be extended. The section of the county through which the road would run has no railroad facilities whatsoever.
100 Years Ago
October 4, 1918
Several youths, charged with stealing coal from B& O. cars, were before Judge Needles this morning. The complaints were made by officials of the road who state they propose to put a stop to all coal stealing this year and that prosecutions will follow.
With Spanish Influenza already making its presence known, local residents are being urged to take all necessary precautions and even the slightest cold should be treated immediately. Masks should be worn by those attending patients with influenza.
75 Years Ago
October 4, 1943
The Sidney bus station and Buck’s Taxi and Delivery Service were moved today from the Central Hotel on West Court street to the room in the Sidney Hotel building on South Main avenue, formerly occupied by Heck Motor Sales. Remodeling of the Central Hotel into apartments for war workers under the government program is the reason for the change.
Nearly 250 soldiers and 100 “canteen” hostesses enjoyed the Beta Sigma Phi sorority’s canteen dance Saturday night at the armory. In addition to dancing, a program of musical numbers was presented by Virginia Stump, sorority member; Cpl. Raymond Fong, of the guests, and a trio composed of Ward Beer, Bob Schieber, and Hugh Albers: Officers of the local state guard company headed the reception committee.
50 Years Ago
October 4, 1968
A new associate pastor will be installed Sunday at the St. John Lutheran Church in Sidney. Rev. Milo Strozensky will fill the assistant’s post which has been vacant since Rev. Lartry Hoffsis left in September 1967 to accept a call from a Columbus church.
JACKSON CENTER- Carl Ramga was named president of the Kawanis club at the meeting Wednesday night. Serving with him when they take office in January of 1969 will be John Steenrod, first vice president, Robert Warner, second vice president, Rev. Robert Warner, second vice president, secretary, and Frederick Gross, treasurer.
25 Years Ago
October 4, 1993
It has been said that love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage but in the case of Kenneth Metz and his bride, the former Constance Fogt , the old adage has been altered somewhat to include a fire truck. Following their wedding Saturday afternoon at St. John Lutheran Church in Sidney, the newlyweds boarded a fire truck for a ride through town and to their reception. The mode of transportation is quite appropriate as Metz is a member of the Port Jefferson Fire Department.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org