SIDNEY — Five people have been displaced as a result of a two-story duplex fire on Miami Avenue Monday night.
According to a press release from the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services, the Sidney Fire Department was dispatched to 311 S. Miami Ave. Monday, Oct. 8, at 6:58 p.m. on the report of a house fire.
When the fire crew arrived, they found a two-story duplex with heavy smoke showing from the structure. Occupants told firefighters everyone was out of the house. A box alarm was requested recalling all off duty Sidney firefighters, Anna and Lockington Fire Departments and Perry Port Salem Rescue. DP&L and Vectren were requested to secure the electric and gas services.
Fire crews initiated an interior fire attack and were able to quickly knock down the main body of the fire, the release said. Due to construction features of the older style home, the fire had already extended into the walls and attic and required extensive overhaul operations to assure the fire was out. During the overhaul phase of the fire, the family dog was located on the first floor and given oxygen. The dog appears to be doing fine and was returned to the family.
Crews remained on the scene until approximately 10:30 p.m.
The house, owned by Duane Hutchinson, was occupied by Mellisa and Coty Opsomer with Cheyenne and Andrew Kinney on the first floor unit. The second floor unit was occupied by Stacey LeMaster. All occupants are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
None of the occupants were injured during the fire. One firefighter received a minor injury during the fire.
The total loss amount of the structure and contents is estimated at $60,000.
The fire remains under investigation at this time.