Minster man receives 9-year sentence

By Jim Painter - For the Sidney Daily News

SIDNEY – A Minster man has been sentenced to nine years in prison on sex-related charges involving a minor female in Shelby County Common Pleas Court. He will also register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

Paul A. Heiser, 41, 12820 Luthman Road, Minster, received 54 months each on two counts of gross sexual imposition, both third-degree felonies. The terms will be served consecutively totaling nine years with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC).

Online court records indicate Judge James Stevenson factored Heiser’s criminal history into the sentencing. He was also determined Heiser to be a Tier II sex offender and will be required to register with authorities every 180 days or the rest of his life.

Heiser was originally charged with four counts as prosecutors dropped two additional charges to garner the guilty plea during case negotiations. According to authorities, Heiser made sexual contact with a 12-year-old girl between Oct. 17 to Dec. 4, 2017.

A Michigan man was sentenced to 30 months with the ODRC on a charge of possession of drugs, a third-degree felony. The court also ruled he was a major drug offender.

Rapheal Najee Solomon, 28, Lathrop Village, Michigan, was arrested on March 8 in possession of heroin. He was awarded 222 days credit for his incarceration at the Shelby County Jail.

The court recently revoked a lower bond for a Toledo man who violated a protection order involving the alleged female victim. He is currently incarcerated at the county jail on a $50,000 bond.

Tyler A. Hurst, 31, who resided at 63 Eastview Drive Apt. 5, Fort Loramie, when the alleged original incident occurred, has been charged with abduction, a third-degree felony, violating a protection order, a fifth-degree felony, and obstructing official business, a second-degree misdemeanor, following an Aug. 19 incident in Sidney.

On Oct. 1, Hurst was free on a bond when he allegedly went to where the victim was at and placed a ladder against the building looking at her through a window. Sidney Police arrested Hurst and filed additional charges of aggravated trespassing and violation of a protection order, both first-degree misdemeanors, in Sidney Municipal Court.

In Common Pleas Court, Stevenson again ordered Hurst to make no contact with the alleged victim. He ordered him to jail on a $50,000 bond.

Regarding the original charges, Hurst entered a residence at 623 N. Ohio Ave. around 9 a.m. on Aug. 19 with an adult woman at the home. The reports noted Hurst did not use force to enter the premises, according to Sidney Police.

Online court records show Hurst forcibly prevented the woman from leaving the house. He manipulated her into believing law enforcement officers were seeking her arrest. Already in place was a protection order the woman had against Hurst.

Once police arrived at the residence at 10 a.m., Hurst ran from officers and later provided false information prompting the obstructing charge.

While initially jailed, Hurst allegedly called from the county jail leaving a message on the victim’s phone.

In a case where the perpetrator made off with sparse items, the court ordered the violator be placed on probation.

Tony R. Blankenship, 53, 701 W. North St., was placed on five years of community control when a presentence investigation showed he was working steady, obtained drug and alcohol counseling, and was making a “strong attempt” to turn his life around.

He was found guilty of one count of trespassing in a habitation, a fourth-degree felony.

Stevenson did note Blankenship’s unwillingness to accept responsibility for the incident. He ordered he have no contact with the victim, must continue drug and alcohol counseling, and fined $400 and assessed the court costs.

The judge gave Blankenship 90 days credit for time already spent in the county jail. He said if Blankenship violated the terms of his probation, the court could impose an 18-month prison sentence.

According to online court records, Blankenship was charged for breaking into a home at 726 W. North St. on May 20 while the occupants were home.

The reports states that Blankenship, who was dressed in black, entered the home barefooted then ran out a backdoor when the occupants discovered him. A witness then saw Blankenship running and trying to break into cars.

He reportedly emptied his pockets by one of the cars and ran to his residence hiding from police in the bathroom. Blankenship told police he had been napping downstairs and was preparing to take a shower.

Police indicated Blankenship made off with a flower pot valued at $1. They also confiscated the items discarded from his pockets which were a letter, energy pills, a lottery ticket and a one-dollar bill.

By Jim Painter

For the Sidney Daily News

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.