125 Years Ago
October 19, 1893
A freight car in the C.H&D railroad was robbed last night between Cincinnati and here. The car was loaded with merchandise consigned to Sidney merchants and when it arrived here early this morning, the robbery was discovered. Some hats and caps being sent to A. Mayer and a number of other things were reported taken.
The first new town to spring up along the Ohio Southern extension is called Geyer City, and is located 1-1/2 miles southeast of Gutman, in Auglaize county. The town has been platted with lots of 50 by 100 feet, which are sold at $25 a piece to builders or donated for manufacturing purposes. A saw mill has been erected and timber for a new grain elevator is on the ground.
100 Years Ago
October 19, 1918
Louis Boyer, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.F. Boyer, wounded in action at Belleau Woods, arrived at the Big Four depot at 10:30. He was wounded on June 30 and will have a 30-day furlough at home.
Hon. Benjamin LeFevre, of Shelby county, and former congressman from this district, fell in the hall of the apartment he occupies in a hotel at Atlantic City and sustained a fracture of the left hip.
75 Years Ago
October 19, 1943
One of the first Sidney members of the Women’s Army Corps, Pfc. Velma Bogart, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Bogart, is home on medical discharge. Located most recently in North Africa she is hoping she will be physically able within the next 90 days to reenlist.
With waste paper becoming one of the more critical war materials, the Sidney and Shelby county defense council today was working out plans for a systematic paper drive within the next several weeks.
50 Years Ago
October 19, 1968
A Sidney man, who has completed training at the State Highway Patrol Academy, has been assigned to the Lima post of the patrol. He is Steve L. Cates, a four year veteran of the Marine Corps, one of the 45 graduates of the 81st class.
LEVKAS, Greece- Jaqueline Kennedy will wed Aristolte Onassis Sunday in a Greek Orthodox chapel with her mother giving her away and her brother-in-law Prince Stanislaus Radzwill acting as her best man, family friends said today.
25 Years Ago
October 19, 1993
The public is invited to join city officials on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. for the dedication of several new park facilities. The ceremonies will begin at the new pavilion in the Bumgardner Basin section of Tawawa Park. The pavilion will officially be designated as the Webster Geib Pavilion in recognition of the longtime former Sidney Recreation Board member. The new softball complex named the Tawawa Softball Complex and one of the ball fields there will be dedicated to Richard L. Pope, retired chief executive officer of the Stolle Corp. now with the Ralph J. Stolle Co. The pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the Great Miami River which connects Custenborder Field and Canal Street will be designated Ralph J. Stolle Bridge. The paved walkway around Custenborder Field, also a part of the Riverwalk project, will be dedicated as the Veterans Memorial Walkway.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org