Out of the past


125 Years

November 28, 1893

The fire department was called out at midnight by an alarm sent in from box 26 at the corner of Jefferson street and Main avenue. The fire was in a wood shed on the rear of the E. Bemus lot on North Main avenue and spread to the stable on the rear of Louis Pfaadt’s lot. Both structures were destroyed, but carriages and a horse in the stable were gotten out.

———

Our police force, which is a very efficient one, is composed of four men: Chief C.E. McClure, George Covil, John Guy, and William O’Leary. They are all old Sidney boys.

———

The first skating of the season was on Tawawa Lake on Saturday. A great many lovers of the sport were out and enjoyed a few hours on the ice.

———

Louis Croft went to Findlay this morning. He expected to take a position in a laundry in that town.

100 Years

November 28, 1918

In a letter read at the regular meeting of the city council last night, the superintendent of the Big Four Railroad advised members that the railroad need not place crossing gates at Wilkinson and Miami avenues unless declared a necessity by the public utilities commission. The matter was turned over to the city solicitor for action.

———

Automobiles driven by C.A. Sexauer and Alva Van Fossen collided at the corner of Main avenue and Court street about 7:30 last night. The young son of Van Fossen was considerably cut about the head, but his injuries are not serious. He was taken to the office of Dr. Beebe for medical attention.

———

Frederick E. Guthrie, of Marion, O., will be the speaker for the annual memorial service of the Sidney Lodge of Elks to be held Sunday in the high school auditorium. Meyerholtz orchestra will present a special musical program. The services are in charge of W.R. Carothers, exalted ruler of the lodge.

75 Years

November 28, 1943

Construction work on the addition to the tower of the city building, to house the old fire bell, is expected to get under way in the next few days. With the aid of the crane of Jacob Kastner, the bell was lifted to the roof of the city building today. The crane was mounted on a highway department trailer for the operation.

———

Operating in “very great strength” Royal Air Force bombers battered the reich again last night and left bomb-scarred Berlin writhing under the impact of additional hundreds of tons of explosives.

50 Years

November 28, 1968

VERSAILLES – Footers were poured this week for a new reading room at the Worch Memorial Library to be under construction this winter. The new 918-square-foot room will contain fiction, non-fiction and periodicals for adults. The library presently has more than 2,000 borrowers in the village, the school district and in the Russia community. Librarian is Mrs. Edson Varner.

———

Purchase of the former Davies property on South Ohio avenue at South street, by the Peoples Federal Savings and Loan Association, has been announced by officers of the financial institution. The old Davis homestead is presently occupied by the Kerr Mortuary, while a two-family brick building is located on the rear of the premises. In making the announcement of the purchase of the property, William F. Kingseed, president of Peoples Federal, indicated the savings association has no immediate plans for utilization of the property.

———

Neither lack of an airplane nor a helicopter will prevent Santa Claus from making his annual appearance in Sidney Friday afternoon to officially open the holiday season. Arrival of the bewhiskered old gentleman aboard the aerial ladder of the fire department was confirmed today by the committee in charge of arrangements for the retail division of the Sidney Chamber of Commerce.

25 Years

November 28, 1993

Wilson Memorial Hospital may enter the managed care field. The presentation was made to the board of trustees and local physicians by Preferred Medical Marketing Corp. The idea of a managed care organization was explained. The meeting was chaired by Wilson Memorial Hospital Board President John Garmhausen.

———

There is a dispute about whether or not the new jail being built south of the city will be annexed into the city. Officials associated with the jail want the annexation. Bill Barlow attended a meeting at which this issue was discussed. He reported two local landowners are opposed to the annexation. However, they previously signed agreements where they indicated their willingness to not oppose the annexation because they were receiving city services. Mr. Barlow indicated litigation would be filed if necessary. It looks like the annexation will be approved.

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2018/11/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-18.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org