HOUSTON– The Hardin-Houston Board of Education met June 15 to approve items for the 2015-2016 school year and to make personnel decisions.
• Approved the faculty & student handbook revisions and approved the athletic handbook.
• Approved the athletic passes for the 2015-2016 season at $30 for students and $85 for adults.
• Approved the K-6 student fees of $65 for the 2015-2016 school year and 7-12 student fees as presented.
• Authorized participation in all federal & state programs for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Approved a contract with the Sidney-Shelby County Board of Health for health services for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Approved awarding high school physical education credit to eighth grade students enrolled in physical education, beginning with the 2015-2016 school year.
• Approved the Club Sports Swim Team member, Andrew Sluss to swim under the Hardin Houston School name during the 2015-2016 season, as presented, with no associated cost to the district.
• Approved the Service Agreement with Midwest Regional Educational Servicer Center for ED Transportation Aide Services and bus rental for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Approved the Program Services Agreement with Midwest Regional Educational Service Center for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Authorized receiving of bids for sealing & painting asphalt and to award the project work to Area Asphalt Seal Coat at a cost of $23,633.
• Approved Career Tech Education options for 8th grade students only, therefore waiving grade 7, for the 2015-2016 school year.
The board also:
• Employed Jill Bornhorst as the 7-12 Art Teacher for the 2015-2016 school year, on a 1 year limited contract at a salary of $32,650.
• Employed Dave Ewing as District Sewage Operator beginning July 1, 2015.
• Employed Scott Branscum as a regular route bus driver at $21.27/hour and a 5 hour custodian at $13.65/hour, effective August 19, 2015. As well as a substitute custodian when needed at $13.65/hour.
• Approved the medical leave of custodian Larry Wogaman for approximately eight weeks, beginning July 8, 2015.
• Approved the following salary increases, effective August 1, 2015: Superintendent Larry Claypool: 1 percent, Treasurer Amy Ayers: 4.2 percent, Elementary Principal Sara Roseberry: 1 percent, Technology Coordinator Matt Stephens: 2 percent, and High School Principal Ryan Maier 4.2 percent.
The board approved the following contract addendum’s effective August 1, 2015, through the expiration of the current contracts in force:
• Larry Claypool: Severance: At the time of retirement from Hardin Houston Local School, the superintendent will qualify for a severance payment in accordance with the Master Negotiation Agreement in place, with the exception of the minimum years of active service with the district. There will be no minimum years of service required.
• Sara Roseberry: To facilitate administrative duties while outside of the office, the Board shall reimburse the administer $40 per month for cell phone expenses.
• Ryan Maier: To facilitate administrative duties while outside of the office, the Board shall reimburse the administer $40 per month for cell phone expenses.
The board employed the following on a one year supplemental contract for the 2015-2016 school year:
• Tiffany Hickerson, Academia, $1,312.26
• Marie Poeppelman, Washington DC – Coordinator, $656.13
• Gina Maier, Washington DC – Supervisor, $468.67
• Cara Kellersmith, Environmental Club, $468.67
• John Willoughby, Head Teacher-District, $1,249.77
• Janet McClurg, Muse Machine, $406.18
• Stephanie Merickel, National Honor Society, $624.89
• Gina Maier, Junior Honor Society, $468.67
• Dave Reister, Pep Band, $1,406.00
• Jill Bornhorst, Play/Musical, $937.33
• Kim Vestal, Power of the Pen – Gr. 8, $937.33
• Jenni Paulus, Power of the Pen – Gr. 7, $874.84
• Gina Maier, Prom, $374.93
• Tina Mertz, Prom, $374.93
• Deanna Chappie, Spanish Circle, $406.18
• Stephanie Merickel, Student Council–HS, $937.33
• Molly McKee, Student Council–Elementary, $937.33
• Jill Bornhorst, Yearbook, $3,124.44
• Melissa Bowers, LPDC Representative, $874.84
• Samantha Sharp, Elementary Musicals, $312.44
The next board meeting is July 20 at 7 p.m. in the media center.