SIDNEY — Preparation for the May primary continued at Wednesday’s Shelby County Board of Elections meeting.
According to Director Pamela Kerrigan, seven voters who live in Darke County — but are part of the Fort Loramie School District — will be voting the precinct located at St. Michael Church in Fort Loramie.
“They (Darke County Board of Elections) contacted us because they don’t have a full county-wide election,” said Kerrigan.
The ballots of the seven Darke County residents will be kept separate from Shelby County voters casting their votes at the precinct. It’s the responsibility of Darke County Board of Elections to notify the voters about the change of voting location for May 7 election.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars building will still be a voting location for the May primary, said board member Chuck Craynon. The building will be open Monday for set up, all day Tuesday and Wednesday for tear down.
Board member Merrill Asher asked what was being done to find a new location to replace the VFW polling place.
Kerrigan said she had contacted the Knights of Columbus and they are willing to be a voting location.
Craynon said he’d like to wait until after the May election to find a new location.
“We’re dragging our feet,” said Asher. “You don’t know what will come up in August (possible special election).”
The board will continue to explore options for a new polling location.
In other business, the board:
• Approved ballot roofs for the May primary.
• Approved the order for printed ballots of 6,290 for the May primary.
• Learned an E-poll book can be used for absentee voting.
• Approved the allocation of voting equipment to the precincts for the May primary.
• Reviewed the process for moving voting equipment to the precincts on the day before the election.
• Agreed to hold a refresher class for precinct workers prior to the election.
• Agreed to certify the election on Monday, May 20, at 9 a.m.
• Discussed updating the board of elections’ website.
• Approved bills which have been filed for audit.
The board’s next meeting will be Monday, April 15, at 4 p.m. at the board office.
Reach the writer at 937-538-4822.