New Bremen BOE to decide on extra expenditure


By Sandy Rose Schwieterman - For the Sidney Daily News



NEW BREMEN – The New Bremen Board of Education will decide at its Aug. 21 meeting whether to spend an additional $56,000 to get the new $20 million elementary building project back on schedule.

Heavy rains earlier this summer have pushed the completion date back to Sept. 15, 2020. Completion was originally planned for Aug. 18, 2020, to access the 71,000 square foot facility.

The extra funding is anticipated will allow completion of the walls and roof.

Superintendent Jason Schrader told the Board at an emergency meeting July 31 that drawing the money from the contingency fund will allow contractor Gilbane Building Company to pay crews overtime. Normally crews have a four day work week. The additional funding would allow them to make up the 20 workdays lost by working Fridays.

“The goal is to get the building enclosed before winter comes,” said Schrader. He added if they cannot get the building enclosed, the cost to using tarping and heaters for temporary shelter will be very expensive.

As to meeting deadlines to get into the new building by Aug. 18, Schrader said they will know better in January 2020. Then they can decide which of two school schedules to use.

By Sandy Rose Schwieterman

For the Sidney Daily News

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.