SIDNEY – Blood donations are critical for the treatment of cancer patients. Honor September and October Blood Cancer and Breast Cancer Awareness months by donating at the any Shelby County community blood drive. Everyone who registers to donate will receive the “My Compassion Defines Me. I Donate Blood to Fight Cancer” T-shirt. Make an appointment to donate online at www.DonorTime.com or call 937-461-3220.
The “My Compassion Defines Me” T-shirt is the donor gift from Community Blood Center through Nov. 2. It’s the last of three T-shirt designs in the Lifesaving Adventure Blood Drive campaign. Everyone who registers to donate through Nov. 2 is automatically entered in the drawing for the YETI Adventure Package, which includes a Tundra Cooler, Base Camp chairs and 27 genuine YETI accessories.
Platelets and plasma are vitally important for the treatment of cancer patients, as well as trauma, transplant, and burn patients. CBC is offering new opportunities to donate platelets and plasma at community blood drives. Donors are in high demand, especially blood types A, AB, or B positive. Find out more at www.GivingBlood.org or talk to an apheresis specialist at (937) 461-3220.
Area blood drives include:
• Oct. 2, Senior Center of Sidney, Sidney, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., community blood drive
• Oct. 4, Fairlawn High School, Sidney, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., community and school blood drive
• Oct. 8, Jackson Center American Legion, Jackson Center, 3 to 7 p.m., community blood drive
• Oct. 11, Houston High School, Houston, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., school blood drive only
• Oct. 15, St. Michael’s Hall, Fort Loramie, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., community blood drive
• Oct. 17, Sidney Apostolic Temple, Sidney, 3 pm-7pm, community blood drive
• Oct. 18, Sidney High School, Sidney, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., school blood drive only
• Oct. 23, Plastipak, Jackson Center, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m., employee blood drive only
• Oct. 24, Plastipak, Jackson Center, 7:30 11:30 a.m., employee blood drive only
The Community Blood Center is honored to recognize the following “Donors for Life”
• 120 donations: Daniel Heitmeyer, Sidney
• 110 donations: Gary Gerkey, Sidney
• 70 donations: Mark Hoersten, Sidney
• 50 donations: Michael Luthman, Sidney, Barb Poeppelman, Anna
• 40 donations: Jim Fitchpatrick, Port Jefferson
• 30 donations: David Fogt, Sidney
• 25 donations: Michael Pleiman, Anna, Jeffrey Wood, Sidney
• 20 donations: David Berning, Anna, Patricia Francis, Sidney, Scott Grimes, Anna
• 10 donations: Josh Buehler, Botkins, Josh Pellman, Sidney,
Learn more at www.GivingBlood.org.
Connect with Community Blood Center for the latest information and services at www.GivingBlood.org. Get fast and complete answers on how to make a first donation, organize a blood drive, or bring the education program to a school. Get all the updates in the CBC/CTS newsroom, find quick links to our social media pages, or schedule an appointment to donate by connecting to www.DonorTime.com.
Blood donation requirements: Donors are required to provide a photo ID that includes their full name. Past CBC donors are also asked to bring their CBC donor ID card. Donors must be at least 17 years of age (16 years old with parental consent: form available at www.givingblood.org or at CBC branch & blood drive locations), weigh a minimum of 110 pounds (you may have to weigh more, depending on your height), and be in good physical health. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) changes blood donor eligibility guidelines periodically. Individuals with eligibility questions are invited to email email@example.com or call 1(800)388-GIVE. Make an appointment at www.DonorTime.com.
Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services is an independent, not-for-profit organization. Community Blood Center provides blood products to 23 hospitals and health centers within a 15-county service area in the Miami (Ohio) and Whitewater (Indiana) Valleys. For more information about Community Blood Center/Community Tissue Services®, visit www.givingblood.org.