• La Comedia Dinner Theatre, 765 W. Central Ave., Springboro, presents “Elf the Musical,” Nov. 7 through Dec. 31. Times vary. Tickets: $61-$74; includes dinner. Visit www.lacomedia.com.
• The Dayton Ballet, accompanied by the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, will present “The Nutcracker” on Friday, Dec. 13 and 20 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 14 and 21 at 2:30 and 7:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 15 at 2:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 22 at 2:30 and 6 p.m., and Monday, Dec. 23 at 2:30 p.m. All performances will be held in the Mead Theatre of the Schuster Center. Tickets start at $18 and are available at Ticket Center Stage by calling 888-228-3630 or online at www.daytonperformingarts.org. Senior, teacher and military discounts are available at the box office.
• The Carillon Brass will present “Bach’s Lunch” on Friday, Dec. 13 at 10 a.m. and noon at the Loft Theatre, 126 N. Main St., Third Floor. Both concerts are free and open to the public and attendees are encouraged to come early to ensure a seat. Complimentary coffee from Boston Stoker will be available beginning at 9 a.m. when the doors open.
• The Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra and the Dayton Philharmonic Chamber Choir will present Handel’s “Messiah” on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 125 N. Wilkinson St., Dayton. Tickets are $37 for adults and $19 for students and children and can be purchased at Ticket Center Stage by calling 888-228-3630 or online at www.daytonperformingarts.org. Senior, teacher and military discounts are available at the box office.
• The fourth annual “A Carillon Christmas” will be held at Carillon Historical Park beginning Nov. 21 and running through Dec. 30, from 5 to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 5 to 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Carillon Historical Park will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, and $5 for children. Children ages 3 and under are admitted for free.
• Brukner Nature Center’s Autumn Equinox Exhibit will run through Dec. 15 and feature art from Charley Harper. Exhibit is free with paid admission to the nature center and a portion of sales of Harper Art will support BNC’s mission of wildlife conservation.
• Brukner Nature Center will host their “Wildlife Tracks” winter camp on Monday, Dec. 23 for children ages kindergarten through fifth grade. Children can be signed up for a half day from 9 a.m. to noon with cost at $15 for members and $20 for non-members, or a full day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with cost at $20 for members and $25 for non-members. Payment is accepted in cash or check and is due with registration by Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 5 p.m.
• Brukner Nature Center will host their “Winter Adventure” winter camp on Monday, Dec. 23 for pre-schoolers aged 3 to 5. Winter camp is a half day from 9 a.m. to noon with cost at $15 for members and $20 for non-members. Payment is accepted in cash or check and is due with registration by Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 5 p.m.
• Waynesfield Public Library, 108 E. Wapakoneta St., Waynesfield, will host story times every Thursday morning, beginning at 10:45 a.m.
• Registration for Brunker’s “Fall PEEP II” opens Sept. 29 for preschool children ages 3 to 5. The program is offered Tuesdays through Fridays from 9:30 to 11 a.m. with additional Wednesday and Friday afternoon classes offered from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Sessions run six weeks with a different nature-related topic explored each week. The fee for the program is $55 for members and $75 for non-members, per child. All fees are due upon registration and only cash or check is accepted. Class size is limited to 12 children. There will be a break for all classes the week of Thanksgiving.
• Packer Historical Center, 112 W. Main St., Anna, is open every Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m., free admission.
• Registration for Brukner’s “Homeschool Nature Club” opens Aug. 1 for home schooled children ages five to 12. Sessions will take place from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 2 to 4 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month running September through May. Program fee is $3 for members and $6 for non-members per class. Payment is due at the time of registration and cash or check is accepted. Deadline for registration is 5 p.m. on the Monday before each program.
• The Knights of Columbus, Sidney Chapter, will be hosting their fish fry for December on Friday, Dec. 13 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at 1300 N. Fourth Ave., Sidney. Dine in for adults is $8 and carry-out is $7.50. Children 11 and under eat for $4.
• The Auglaize County Public Library will be making Christmas cards for senior citizens in the area from Dec. 2 through 11. Patrons are invited to stop in and make a Christmas card.
• The Auglaize County Public Library will hold a story time every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. and is open to all ages.
• The Auglaize County Public Library will hold an evening story time on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 6:30 p.m. Children are welcome to come and read books, sing silly songs, dance around, and end with a craft or activity.
• The New Bremen Public Library will hold a story time on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. for all ages up to first grade.
• There will be an “After School at the Library” program held every Monday at 3 p.m. at the New Bremen Public Library. Students are invited to come to the library for a snack and stay for board games and Lego free play.
• A children’s story time will be held every Thursday from 10:30 to 11 a.m. in the children’s department at the Piqua Public Library. Registration is required and two programs are available; one for toddlers and caregivers, and one for pre-k children ages 3 and older.
• Children can write letters to Santa and mail them at the children’s department of the Piqua Public Library through Monday, Dec. 20. All letters will receive a response from the North Pole.
• A Toys for Tots drive will be held at the Piqua Public Library through Monday, Dec. 16 in the children’s department. New, unwrapped toys will be collected to distribute to needy children in the Miami and Shelby County communities.
• The Piqua Library will host genealogy help, from 1:30 to 5 p.m., in the Local History Dept., every Friday. Appointments may be made for other days; call 937-773-6753 ext. 229.
• The Piqua Library will host “Walk Piqua,” each Monday and Thursday in November, from 12:30 to 1 p.m. Meet in lobby.
• The Piqua Library will host “Sit, Stitch ‘N Gab,” from noon to 1:30 p.m., each Wednesday in November. Bring your crochet, knit, or embroidery project.
• Upper Valley Medical Center will offer a free blood pressure and blood glucose check every second Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Circulation Desk at the Piqua Public Library.
• The Cridersville Public Library will hold a music and early literacy program, “Music & Movement” at 4 p.m. every Thursday. Children of all ages are welcome.
• The Cridersville Public Library will hold a story time every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.
• The New Knoxville Community Library will host a family story time every Thursday at 10:30 a.m. for children in infancy through kindergarten with a caregiver.
• Grand Lake Health System will offer free blood pressure screenings for the public on a walk-in basis every second Wednesday at the Stallo Memorial Library September through May, beginning at noon.
• The Stallo Memorial Library will hold a story time every Tuesday beginning at 10:30 a.m. for children ages 3 and older.
• The White Memorial Library will hold a story time every Thursday at 10:30 a.m.
• The White Memorial Library will hold Euchre at 1 p.m. every Tuesday.
THURSDAY, DEC. 5
• The Piqua Public Library will host a crafting program from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the Louis Room of the library. Program is limited to 12 people and pre-registration is required and can be done by calling 937-773-6753.
• Topher Eller will perform Christmas and jazz tunes on voice trombone and spoons in the lobby of the Piqua Public Library from 1 to 2 p.m.
FRIDAY, DEC. 6
• Deb Meek will perform holiday music on the Piqua Public Library’s grand piano at 11:30 a.m.
• The Piqua Public Library will have Christmas activities in the children’s department from 6 to 8 p.m. including refreshments and a visit from Santa.
• The Auglaize County Public Library’s adult book group will meet at 10 a.m. The title for December is “The Winter of Our Discontent” by John Steinbeck. Tea and breakfast snacks provided.
• Old Time Country Jamboree will be held, from 7 to 10 p.m., at Spring Creek Christian Church, 63 Wiles Road, Sidney. $3 entry.
SATURDAY, DEC. 7
• Santa will be at the Piqua Public Library lobby following the Downtown Piqua Holiday Parade.
• Christmas on Main will be held throughout Cridersville from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Passports will be available at the Firehouse and participants can win prizes by getting their passports stamped at participating buildings. Santa will also be at the Firehouse.
• Brukner Nature Center’s Winter Arts & Crafts Show will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hundreds of one-of-a-kind handmade items created by local artisans will be available to view and a raffle will be held throughout the day and winners will receive items donated by artisans. All proceeds from the event benefit wildlife programs at BNC.
• Downtown New Knoxville will host “Christmas in the Village” with the New Knoxville Community Library hosting a craft for everyone to make, while supplies last.
• Waynesfield Goshen honor students will be wrapping gifts at the White Memorial Library from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Those interested can bring their own paper and bows or choose from the small selection provided.
• The third annual Trinity Church of the Brethren Community Christmas Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. at 2220 N. Main Ave., Sidney. Event is free and the community is welcome to attend.
• Darke County Parks will hold their annual “Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland” event at Shawnee Prairie Preserve from 6 to 9 p.m. Online registration is required for the event and can be done by going to www.darkecountyparks.org. Anyone unable to register online can call the Nature Center at 937-548-0165.
SUNDAY, DEC. 8
• Santa will be present at the Packer Historical Center’s Christmas Open House from 1 to 4 p.m., 112 W. Main St., Anna. Cookies and punch will be served.
• Sidney Civic Band concert series to feature their annual Christmas Concert at Connection Point Church of God, 1510 Campbell Road, beginning at 3 p.m. Check band’s Facebook page for updates, at www.facebook.com/sidneycivicband.
• A Sunday Brunch will be held from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Sidney Veterans Center, 1265 Fourth Ave., Sidney. A variety of breakfast and lunch items will be available along with salads and desserts provided by the American Legion Ladies Auxiliary. The cost for the all-you-can-eat buffet is $9 for adults and $5 for children 6 to 12 years of age. Children 5 and under eat for free. Proceeds will be used to support the American Legion—Post 217 veteran outreach programs.
MONDAY, DEC. 9
• Join Brukner Nature Center staff and volunteers from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. for this month’s Dine to Donate at Hickory River Smokehouse, 135 S. Garber Drive, Tipp City. Hickory River Smokehouse will donate 20 percent of all sales made by supporters of Brukner Nature Center. Supporters may present a flier, which can be found online at www.brunkernaturecenter.com, or show it from their phone. No coupons, discounts or other offers are valid during the fundraiser event. Good on dine-in, carry-out, and drive-thru orders. Proceeds will help support the wildlife ambassadors at Brukner Nature Center.
• The Auglaize County Public Library will hold an Apple Skills class at 10:30 a.m. Patrons are invited to learn to navigate and use basic functions within their Apple devices as well as utilizing new features tucked away in IOS 13. Class size is limited.
• The Cridersville Public Library will hold an Apple Skills class at 1:30 p.m. Patrons are invited to learn to navigate and use basic functions within their Apple devices as well as utilizing new features tucked away in IOS 13. Class size is limited.
• The Stallo Memorial Public Library will hold an Apple Skills class at 1:30 p.m. Patrons are invited to learn to navigate and use basic functions within their Apple devices as well as utilizing new features tucked away in IOS 13. Class size is limited.
• The White Memorial Public Library will hold an Apple Skills class at 5 p.m. Patrons are invited to learn to navigate and use basic functions within their Apple devices as well as utilizing new features tucked away in IOS 13. Class size is limited.
TUESDAY, DEC. 10
• The Piqua Public Library will host a needle felting class from 1:30 to 4 p.m. in the Louis Room. Supplies are provided and class is limited to 15 participants. Pre-registration is required and can be done by calling 937-773-6753.
• An essential oils class will be held in the Founder’s Room at the Piqua Public Library from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m.
• Darke County Parks will host “Conservation Kids”, a free after-school conservation program from 4:15 to 5 p.m. at the Bish Discovery Center in Greenville. Program is open to children ages 8 to 11. Registration is required and can be done by visiting http://www.darkecountyparks.org/programs. For more information, email email@example.com or 937-548-0165.
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 11
• Brukner Nature Center staff and bird club members invite the community to attend a morning hike from 9 a.m. to noon as they conduct their annual survey of birds found at Brukner Nature Center. Participants will meet at the Interpretive Building, divide into groups, and head out to the trails. Everyone is welcome and will meet back at the center for a hot lunch. Please bring a dish to share for lunch; soup and coffee will be provided. Register by calling 937-698-6493.
• Deb Meek will perform holiday music on the Piqua Public Library’s grand piano at 1 p.m.
• The Piqua Public Library will host “Internet 101: The Basics” at the second floor computers from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Anyone wishing to learn internet and computer basics can register by calling 937-440-3465 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Portals to Piqua’s Past will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Louis Room at the Piqua Public Library. December’s topic is “Santa Claus”.
THURSDAY, DEC. 12
• Topher Eller will perform Christmas and jazz tunes on voice trombone and spoons in the lobby of the Piqua Public Library from 1 to 2 p.m.
• A family stocking craft will be held at the Auglaize County Public Library beginning at 5 p.m. Please register.