JC fire displaces two people


By Sheryl Roadcap - sroadcap@sidneydailynews.com



JACKSON CENTER —Two male residents have been displaced after a Thursday house fire in Jackson Center.

Jackson Center Fire Chief Jerry Davis confirmed dispatch received the fire call at 11:53 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 12. The two-story structure located at 504 E. College St., Jackson Center, sustained extensive damage after the area around a gas space heater caught fire. The heater and the origins of the fire derived from the center of the living room. The fire was contained to the first floor.

The call for help, Davis said, came from one of the occupants, who had returned home from work for lunch. He was able to exit the home safely and immediately called 911.

“The fire was able to be knocked-down pretty quick. The situation was contained within 20 minutes,” Davis said. “We cut access holes in the roof when looking for fire extension. The fire did not extend to the second floor.”

The American Red Cross responded to scene and is providing assistance to the occupants.

No one was injured in the fire. The family cat was not located. Davis said his is not sure if the cat got out of the home or was lost as a result of the fire.

The total loss to the property is estimated at $75,000 to $80,000, and $5,000 to $10,000 loss to contents.

Vectren was called to the scene to secure the gas and the village of Jackson Center water and electric departments were also called to secure the utilities. Swartz Contracting & Emergency Services was called to board-up the home.

Also assisting Jackson Center Fire Department included, Jackson Center Police, Anna Fire and Rescue, Botkins and Van Buren Township Fire Departments.

By Sheryl Roadcap

sroadcap@sidneydailynews.com

Reach the writer at 937-538-4823.

Reach the writer at 937-538-4823.