SIDNEY — Instead of twiddling their hair color stained thumbs during the state-mandated shut down of all hair salons, B-Squared Hair Studio dreamt up a way to serve its local community amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Salon owner Bethany Bolton and stylist Carmen Gephart sold over 100 Easter Cookie Kits at $25 each. The proceeds went toward providing an Easter basket to children who are less fortunate and Bolton and Gephart delivered 70 baskets on Saturday, April 11, to 25 households in Sidney.
Each cookie kit contained 12 cut out sugar cookies, three bags of icing, and three varieties of sprinkles. All of the baking was done by Bolton and Gephart at The Meal Prep Life, a sanitized, licensed kitchen that is COVID-19 approved.
Bolton networked through school counselors to gather names of prospective basket recipients who confirmed the number of children living there and to receive permission to drop off Easter baskets.
“We are all going through our own emotions during this unfortunate time and the children in our community are no exception,” Bolton said. “My hope is this small gesture will bring a big smile to their faces. What better day than the day before Easter!”
Of course, an act of goodwill this big takes a village. To that end, a huge thank you to the following community members for bringing the fundraiser to fruition:
• School counselors for providing names
• Meal Prep Life for allowing Bolton and Gephart to use their kitchen, and provide easy access for cookie kit pick-ups
• The Sidney Walmart for providing a gift card to curb Bolton and Gephart’s purchases for the baskets
• Alvetro Orthodontics for donating crayons, and toothpaste for the baskets
• Mid West Ohio Dental Care for donating toothbrushes for the baskets
• Scott Family McDonalds for providing a free Happy Meal (younger kids) and free combo meal (older kids) coupons for the baskets
• Rolling Hills Skate for providing one free admission coupon for the baskets
• Chilly Jilly’s for providing one free slush or small cone coupon for the baskets
B-Squared Hair Studio, owned and operated by Bethany Bolton, is located at 837 St. Marys Ave., and offers all hair services and pedicures. Bolton, 32, is from Sidney, and has 12 years of experience in the beauty industry. B-Squared has been her vision since she was a young Paul Mitchell cosmetology student. On Oct. 1, 2019, that dream became a reality when she opened up shop. Bolton currently has one stylist working with her, Carmen Gephart also of Sidney, who has 16 years of experience.