SIDNEY — The Sidney VFW Auxiliary is seeking new members for the organization.
Here are some facts about the organization:
• Established in 1914, the VFW Auxiliary is the nation’s oldest veterans’ service organization auxiliary.
• Members of the VFW Auxiliary are the relatives of those who have served in overseas combat.
• There are nearly a half million members representing all 50 states. There are 215 members in Sidney’s Auxiliary.
• The VFW Auxiliary serves the veterans of the country and local communities in honor of the sacrifices and commitment of every man and woman who has served in uniform.
• It is the Auxiliary’s mission to assist the VFW in any way they can. The Auxiliary shares a common goal of serving veterans, their families and their communities.
• During the 2018-2019 Program Year, Auxiliaries provided a total of 6.2 million dollars in aid to veterans, active-duty military and their families.
Some of the ways members offer support are:
• By being a voice for veterans, locally and on Capitol Hill; members are instrumental in assisting the VFW pass or block legislation that impacts veterans and their families.
• By assembling and mailing care packages to active-duty troops.
• By holding send-off and welcome-home events for troops.
• By spreading the word about PTSD and military/veteran suicide awareness.
• By participating in Stand-Downs and assisting homeless veterans.
• By visiting veterans in VA Hospitals, Nursing Homes and Veterans Homes.
• By offering youth scholarships and educating youth about the American Flag.
• By spreading patriotism and educating local communities about America’s patriotic holidays.
There are more than 3,800 Auxiliaries nationwide and the Auxiliary is working to improve the lives of the nation’s veterans in Sidney. Meetings are held at the Sidney Veterans Center on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. Anyone interested in getting involved can contact Auxiliary President Marsha Jones at 937-658-4659 or firstname.lastname@example.org.