SIDNEY — Two families were displaced after a Tuesday afternoon North Miami Avenue house fire.
According to a press release from Sidney Department of Fire & Emergency Services, they received a report of a structure fire at 434 N. Miami Ave. on Tuesday, July 21, 2020, at approximately 2:50 p.m.
Upon arrival fire crews found a wood-framed, two-story, residential duplex with smoke coming from the eaves and fire coming from a second floor window on the rear of the house. Initial crews encountered high heat and zero visibility conditions in the upstairs apartment, but the fire attack crew was able to knock down the fire quickly and contain the fire to the room of origin. Fire personnel remained on the scene for approximately 1 ½ hours performing overhaul and ventilation to assure the fire had not extended into the attic or any void spaces.
The property is owned by Tom Kinninger, and is occupied by Mary Young and her family on the first floor. The upstairs apartment is occupied by Carla Baker.
The American Red Cross is assisting several of the residents with shelter and personal needs.
All off-duty Sidney personnel were recalled, along with engine companies from Anna and Lockington Fire Departments to assist with the fire. Vectren and DP&L were requested to secure the utilities.
There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters; however, a family pet did perish in the upstairs apartment.
The loss amount is estimated at $20,000 to the structure, and $10,000 to the contents.
The fire has been ruled as accidental and electrical in nature associated with a window air conditioner.