Park St. apartment complex fire ruled accidental


SIDNEY — A fire in an apartment on Park Street on Halloween morning was ruled accidental by the Sidney Fire Investigation Unit.

According to a Assistant Chief Mark Barga’s press release, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to 836 Park St., Apt. C on a report of a working structure fire at approximately 11:22 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a two-story, multi-family apartment complex with light smoke showing from the exterior of the building and heavy black smoke found in apartment C of the complex.

Firefighters completing the fire attack confirmed all occupants were out of the apartment and quickly extinguished the fire.

Sidney Police officers and a maintenance worker assisted in making sure the other apartments were all clear of occupants.

A box alarm was dispatched to recall all off duty Sidney firefighters. While responding to the structure fire call, a medic call was dispatched and Anna Rescue handled the medic call.

The cause of the fire was determined by the Sidney Fire Investigation Unit to be accidental in nature. The cause was attributed to a light cord that was shut in a door causing it to overheat. The origin of the fire was in the living room area, the fire report said.

The American Red Cross was also called to assist the four occupants who displaced by the fire.

The loss amount to the apartment and its contents has not been made available yet.

“Smoke detectors saves lives, and call 911 early,” Barga said in the release.

There were no injuries reported by residents or firefighters.