SIDNEY — A large amount of natural gas was leaked after a construction crew dug up a natural gas line near the intersection of Fair Road and Walnut Avenue Wednesday morning, Dec. 9. Roads were closed off and residents of over 10 homes were evacuated for two hours while the scene was secured.
According to the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services, crews were dispatched Wednesday morning on a report of a gas leak in the area of Fair Road and Walnut Avenue. Medic 1 and Quint 3 arrived to find a construction crew had dug up a natural gas line approximately 2-inches in diameter and the line was releasing a large amount of natural gas. Command was established and contact was made with construction crew.
Fire crews were advised a female occupant was still inside the residence which was located behind the gas line. The area was shut down to traffic and a supply line from a nearby hydrant was secured. Crews deployed hand lines to the area to provide protection for the entry team that made their way to the rear of the house to evacuate the female and her pet.
Hot, warm and cold zones were established, and crews began monitoring and evacuating areas downwind of the leak. Approximately 10 to 12 houses were evacuated and several people left the area. A Shelby Transit bus was called to the scene to provide warmth and transportation to a temporary shelter established at the Senior Center.
The gas outage affected approximately 30 residences and Vectren was working to restore gas service. Occupants were allowed to return to their homes once was the gas was secured.
Crews remained on scene for 2 hours until Vectren could excavate and clamp the line to control the leaking gas.
The Salvation Army also assisted firefighters on scene.
There were no injuries to civilians or Sidney Fire personnel.