SIDNEY — Two people were transported to Wilson Health following a house fire Thursday morning.
The elderly residents, who live at 673 Oak Ridge Drive, were able to get out of the house but became trapped in the smoke on a balcony according to a press release from the Sidney Fire Department. The woman was treated and released at Wilson Health. The man was transported to Miami Valley Hospital for further treatment. Neither occupant was identified by the Sidney Fire Department. Both were transported to Wilson Health by Anna Rescue, who confirmed the last names of the pair transported was Knox.
The Oak Ridge Drive home is owned by Barry W. and Shirley A. Knox.
Firefighters were were dispatched to the fire at approximately 1:58 a.m. Thursday. They learned there was a structure fire with occupants trapped in a bedroom and unable to escape. Also dispatched to the fire were Anna Fire and Anna EMS, Lockington Fire, and VanBuren Township Fire.
Upon arrival, Sidney Fire crews found a one-story home on a walk out basement with fire showing from the front of the residence and heavy smoke coming from the remainder of the house and eaves. Multiple Shelby County deputies and Sidney Police officers were on scene and advised that the residents had made it out of the house, but were now trapped in the smoke on a balcony.
Fire crews, along with law enforcement, were able to rescue the elderly couple from the balcony while a hose line was deployed to extinguish the fire on the front of the house and attic.
Due to lack of fire hydrants in this rural area, a second alarm tanker assignment was requested bringing tankers from Fort Loramie, Port Jefferson and Maplewood Fire Departments. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the remainder of the fire and prevent further extension into the attic. Fire damage estimates are $75,000 to the structure and $35,000 to the contents.
The fire is under investigation by Sidney Fire Department investigators at this time.