Out of the past


125 Years

February 17, 1896

The county commissioners received bids until noon today for erecting an iron bridge across Loramie creek in Washington township, about two miles north of Lockington, and an iron bridge across Mosquito creek in Perry township, two miles east of Sidney. Fifteen companies submitted bids, but the commissioners considered all the bids were too high and rejected them all.

——-

Frank the fire department horse sold to Jack Downs a few weeks ago, has been purchased of Downs by Frank Marrs, who lives east of Sidney. Frank was formerly owned by Marrs and sold by him for use in the fire department. He was the first horse purchased by the fire department and served 11 years.

100 Years

February 17, 1921

The Young Men’s class of United Brethren Church will clash with the Men’s class in a debate tomorrow evening on the subject; “Resolved – the world is growing better under modern religion.” The men’s class, represented by Ed Dunn, Harry Eicher and Ed Etzler will have the affirmative, with the young men championing the negative, composed of Forest Snow, Flint Slusser, and Victor Taylor.

——-

The Shelby County Farm Bureau with 900 members already signed has named an executive committee to work with president L.E. Marrs and other officers. Members of the committee included: A.F. Moon, W.M. Buroker, Bert C. Duer, A.H. Tangeman, Frank Fleckenstein, and Elmer F. Ludwig.

75 Years

February 17, 1946

Members of the city council met in a special session last night to hear a report from Service Director Aneshansley relative his investigation of truck chassis, available from Army surplus, that might be purchased by the city for garbage collection and other city purposes. Priced for sale to municipalities, these truck chassis could be purchased from $907 to $1,053. Council appears inclined to take another look at new trucks for this purpose, and no action was taken.

——-

Announcement of his appointment as the Kaiser-Frazer motor car dealer for Shelby county and the formation of the Johnson Sales to handle the new cars as well as a complete line of farming equipment was made today by Michael E. Johnson. For the present, location of the new firm will be in the Evans Johnson Candy Co. building, 305 North Main avenue.

50 Years

February 17, 1971

Kenneth Borchers is newly elected president of the Russia Civic Association. He is elected at the re-organization meeting this week.

Other officers are Lloyd Simon, vice president; Kenneth Schwartz, secretary; and Virgil Fullenkamp, treasurer.

——-

ANNA – Apparent colds and high temperatures stopped 15 potential blood donors here Wednesday, but 50 blood units were collected in a drawing held for the Shelby County Blood Bank by the Anna Kiwanis Club.

Eugene W. Liess, Anna received a five-gallon donor award from the bank, according to Mrs. Irene Boerger, bank executive secretary. Mrs. Donna Short and Robert W. Naseman, both of R.R. 2, Anna, received the one-gallon award.

25 Years

February 17, 1996

The engine on a single-engine airplane failed Friday night, forcing its pilot to make an unplanned landing in a field off Dingman-Slagle Road between Pasco-Montra and Ferree roads.

The plane, a Cessna Cardinal, was damaged but the pilot, Jeff Meckstroth of Piqua, and a passenger, were not injured. Meckstroth is a firefighter with the Piqua Fire Department.

——-

Wilson Memorial Hospital has achieved accreditation from the Joint Commission and Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations after an onsite survey found Wilson to be in compliance with the Joint Commission’s national standards for clinical and pathology laboratories.

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2021/02/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-8.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org