Minster Council hears war memorial proposal


By Sandy Rose Schwieterman - For the Sidney Daily News



MINSTER – The Minster Council heard a presentation from the two local veterans Tuesday night that would upgrade the existing monument at the Minster Machine Centennial Park.

Jim Harting and Bill Meiring told council of plans to install four black granite blocks with the names, photos and backgrounds of four Minster residents who died while in service to their country. Harting said that they were not seeking funding from the village, only permission to make the changes to Village property. They said that had already raised $1,700 of the $7,000 needed to complete the blocks.

The council members expressed support for the project but could not vote for approval that night because they did not have a quorum due to illness. The next council meeting will be Tuesday, Feb. 1 at 6:30 pm.

Two of those men who would be immortalized were Cpl. Vernon J. Seger, who on Oct. 24, 1969, was killed in the Vietnam War during an attack from Vietcong soldiers, and Walter J. Schulte, who on Feb. 17, 1919, lost his life to pneumonia while serving with the World War I American Army of Occupation. The other two would be Pfc William Thieman Jr., who died in World War II, succumbing to wounds on Dec. 14, 1944, and Anthony Leo Knapke, who served in both WWII in the Korean War. Knapke lost his life in the North Korea in November 1950, after being captured and forced into the North Korean Tiger Death March.

By Sandy Rose Schwieterman

For the Sidney Daily News

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.

The writer is a regular contributor to the Sidney Daily News.