SIDNEY — A garage attached to a home on Little Turtle Way was completely destroyed, and the home was left unlivable, after a Sunday evening fire.
The call came in at 9:50 p.m., on Sunday, March 13, on the report of a fire at 10993 Little Turtle Way. It has been deemed as accidental, said Lockington Fire Chief Jon Adams.
The fire was caused from gasoline spilled in the garage when a male occupant of the home was working on a motorcycle near a heat source, causing the gas to ignite, Adams said. Aside from the garage being destroyed, the home sustained extensive smoke and water damage. Two vehicles in the driveway were damaged extensively, and a neighbor’s exterior of their home sustained light damage from the fire, he said.
“It was hot,” Adams said of the fire. “I think we pulled out around 1:23 a.m. … We just left (again) about an hour ago (around 9:30 a.m.) after a rekindling in the garage door frame.”
The total loss dollar amount has yet to be determined for the home owned by Michael A. Earick, as fire report is still being completed.
Assisting Lockington Fire were Sidney, Houston and Russia Fire Departments. Spirit EMS also responded to the scene. Pioneer Electric responded to secure the power, and Shelby County water and sewage responded for the utilities, Adams said.
“I sure do appreciate all of the help from our neighbors,” Adams said. “Everybody works together to make this happen out in the country, in the county.”
Five people, including a child, were displaced by the fire, Adams said. The home’s occupants stayed with family overnight but the Shelby County American Red Cross was contacted to offer help to the family.
No one, including first responders, reported being injured in the fire.