Out of the past

125 Years

May 25, 1897

The third concert this season by the Klute Band was held in the Masonic hall last night. The hall was packed to utmost capacity, every seat was taken and even standing room was at a premium. In addition to the band numbers there were vocal members by Francis Fisher Powers, of New York City, and Miss Jessie Ayers Wilson of this city, a student of Mr. Powers.


Hard times, war and politics are forgotten throughout the country on account of the great baseball games. The streets in the cities, around the telegraph offices and places where the scores are received, are packed by excited people. Business is nearly all suspended during the games.

100 Years

May 25, 1922

Members of city council at their meeting last evening adopted a resolution instructing the city solicitor to proceed with the case now pending against the B.& O. railroad, relative to the extension of Court street under the railroad. Council also approved issuance of $5,500 in bonds for construction of bridges over Tilbury Run on Shelby street, Washington street and Jefferson street.


Cherry Cheer Clark, for many years engaged in the taxi business with offices across from the traction depot, has now entered the real estate business. He has a number of farm and city properties on his list. He will continue the taxi business also.


The secretary of state today authorized the incorporation of the Micro Meter Company at Sidney with the capitalization of $500. The incorporators are A.J. Pocock, Paul C. Pocock, W.E. Whipp, Robert Pocock, and Harry W. Crist

75 Years

May 25, 1947

“An Old Spanish Custom” – the 1947 Sidney High school senior operetta – was presented for the first of a two-night stand last evening in the auditorium at the high school. Directed by C.A. Ricketts, the principals in the cast include: Bob Althoff, Phyllis Bender, Bob Casper, Roland Swonger, Bill Limbert, Mary Jo Lippincott, Eleanor Ashenbach, Sarah Dunson, Mary Jo Crusey, Bob Dormire, and George Long.


The Travel Club of Anna High school will leave Monday for a week’s tour of Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Pittsburg. Twenty-one members will make the trip in cars driven by Miss Betty Weaver, Arthur Wilt, Virgil Bensman, Howard Pfaadt, and Luth Fogt, club sponsor.

50 years

May 25, 1972

Appointment of Edwin O. Neuce as editor of Linn’s Stamp News was made today by J. Oliver Amos, publisher. Linn’s is the weekly newspaper for stamp collectors and has grown to 80,000 circulation.


Emerson PTO held its final meeting of the club year, installing officers during the session. Mrs. Richard Carey is the new president and will be assisted by Mrs. Michael Goffena, vice president; Mrs. Dale Helmlinger, treasurer; and Mrs. Edgar Slyh, secretary.


Two Columbus developers disclosed today that they have completed purchase of land for a Rink’s Bargain City and a supermarket planned for construction north of State Route 47 at Vandemark road.

George Schuliger and John Courtwright Jr., both officials of a Columbus real estate firm, announced the purchase of 16 acres from the Ralph J. Stolle Co. today.

25 Years

May 25, 1997

Anna built up a good lead on West Liberty-Salem, allowed the Lady Tigers back in it, then responded to the challenge to post an 8-6 victory in the Division III Sectional softball finals at Tawawa Softball Complex.

The Lady Rockets are now 13-3 and advance to the district tournament at Dayton’s Delco Park at 4 p.m.


ANNA – Looking forward to a second career and new challenges, Anna Schools Superintendent Charlie Rhyan announced this week that he will retire effective August 1 after six years in the school’s top post. “It has been both an honor and a pleasure to serve the last six years as the superintendent of Anna Schools,” stated Rhyan.


These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org