Morning chase ends in crash, arrest

By Sam Wildow - [email protected]



PIQUA — One person is in custody after a deputy’s pursuit with a motorcyclist that began in Piqua ended with a crash in Shelby County early Monday morning.

Everett James Williams Booth, 38, of Covington, reportedly refused to stop for a Miami County Sheriff’s Office deputy in the area of Greene and College streets in Piqua. Booth has been charged with third-degree felony failure to comply and eluding, first-degree misdemeanor OVI, first-degree misdemeanor driving under OVI suspension, and fourth-degree misdemeanor willful or wanton disreguard of safety of persons or property.

Booth is also facing minor misdemeanor charges of speeding, operation without being in reasonable control of the vehicle, not yielding to traffic control devices, and violations regarding stop signs and yield signs.

According to court records, the first violation a deputy observed was Booth, operating a tan Harley-Davidson, turning left onto Ash Street in Piqua at an intersection where there is a “no left turn” sign posted. That reportedly occurred on Monday at 3:10 a.m. The deputy also saw Booth allegedly run a red light, not make a complete stop at an intersection, and drive left of center.

The deputy activated his emergency lights and sirens in the area of Greene and College streets, but Booth reportedly did not pull over his motorcycle. The deputy also reportedly witnessed Booth run another red light and a stop sign.

Speeds reportedly reached over 100 mph in a 55 mph zone. According to court records, the pursuit led onto State Route 66 and eventually went into Shelby County, where Shelby County Sheriff’s Office deputies were notified and called to assist in the chase. The pursuit then went on the Russia-Versailles Road. Around state Route 48, Booth reportedly lost control of his motorcycle and laid the bike down, crashing it.

Booth suffered injuries to his head and shoulder, including a laceration that was bleeding over his left eye. According to court records, Booth showed signs of intoxication, including bloodshot eyes, slowed and slurring speech, and an odor of alcohol. Booth reported admitted to drinking two beers. Booth also had a suspended driver’s license from a prior OVI charge.

Booth was arraigned Tuesday morning. He is being held at the Miami County Jail on $2,750 bond.


By Sam Wildow

[email protected]

Reach reporter Sam Wildow at (937) 451-3336 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall.

Reach reporter Sam Wildow at (937) 451-3336 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall.