July 6, 1891
The bids for the construction of the insane annex to the infirmary and the Dingman pike river bridge were discussed. The bids on the insane asylum were found to exceed the estimates and no award was made. The architect will return Saturday and an effort will be made to bring the cost of the work at such figures as will come within the estimate, which is $10,000. Lowest bid on construction of the bridge was from F.P.J. Brackett Bridge Co. It was referred to the engineer. The bridge will replace what is known as the Talbott Bridge, two miles northeast of town.
With the exception of the wind, which has tumbled the grain after cutting, a finer harvesting season was never in this part of the Miami Valley.
July 6, 1916
Because of the crowded condition in the grammar department, the board of education has found it necessary to make some changes in the housing of students for the coming year. All the eighth grade pupils will be moved to the new high school building, where rooms will be fitted up for them on the first floor. The seventh grade will be moved to the third floor of the Central Building and other changes will be made there to provide room for the first and second grade.
At their meeting last evening, the members of the Young Ladies Circle of the M.E. Church changed the name of the organization to the Young Ladies Auxiliary. Miss Fernanda Kelsey was elected president; Miss Amy Michael, vice president; Miss Ella Neal, secretary and Mrs. George Loudenback, treasurer.
July 6, 1941
Plans for the annual Policeman’s Ball began to take shape today, with the appointment of the various committees in charge of the affair. Waldo Patton will again serve as chairman, with Officer Guy Roach in charge of tickets. Officers Vince Simmons and John Warner, window cards; Wilson Stockstill and Officer Milt Jackson, table reservations; Officers Roach, Rable, O’Leary and Simmons, decorations.
A hayride and steak supper was enjoyed by a group of young people last evening arranged as a courtesy for Misses Barbara and Cynthia Richardson, of Gloucester, house guests of Jean Mathews.
Enjoying the affair with the honored guests and hostess were: Carolyn Hergenrather, Mary Margaret Earl, Marjorie Love, Ann Meyerholtz, Jean Sharp, Anne and Mildred Humey, Robert Brookey, Phil Maurer, Robert Donkelaar, Ralph Kerr, Jr., Carl Custenborder, Bill Kinsella, Lefty Bauer, Quincy Campbell and Paul Carothers, guests here from California.
July 6, 1966
Winner of this week’s Lucky Barrel award, made Tuesday at Kaufman’s department store, was Miss Virginia Oldham of 539 South Walnut Avenue. The amount was $200.
Cub Scout Troop 197 of the Fairlawn School District took a train ride Tuesday. Members of the group were taken to Lima by auto by Mrs. Robert Hageman and O.W. Hancock. They were accompanied by Mrs. George Robinson and Mrs. Harold Brautigam, den mothers, as well as by several of the boys’ sisters.
The group toured the Lima Historical Society Museum, had a picnic in the park and returned by train to Sidney. Troop members making the trip were Douglas Rice, Roger Stevenson, George Robinson, Wesley Hart, Ronald Brautigam, Alan Brautigam, Mark Hageman and Billy Moore.
July 6, 1991
It was a highly unusual situation. The Sidney Fire Department received two fire calls within five minutes of each other. The first call came in from Ross Aluminum Foundries on Oak Street. The fire was extinguished fairly quickly. Just five minutes later, the dire department received a call of a fire at 435 North Miami Avenue. It was reported by Scott Ferguson, who works for Oldham Rentals. There were no injuries at either fire.
The Lake Loramie boat parade was a success. About 16 entries took part. The winner in the prestigious pontoon boat division was Leis Shirk. Grabbing the second place trophy was Doug Winner of Minster. Park ranger Tom Moots was in charge of the festivities.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org