July 15, 1916
The C.H. & D. railroad’s new iron bridge a mile south of town will be completed early in August. It will be the fourth bridge erected there since the building of the railway in 1856. The wooden bridge about to be torn down was built eight or nine years ago by Wallace Hill and he is now putting in the fine iron one. He thinks this one will last so long that its date of construction will be forgotten. The length of the iron structure is 234 feet. Two spans are over the river proper and there are two short spans on either end. From the rails to the water, the distance is 50 feet.
Mrs. Mary DeWeese and family, Mrs. Ann McCullough and family, Mrs. Olive Wood and daughter, Daisy, Carrie Laughlin, Elmer Wilkinson, Jess Creeders and Bally DeWeese pitched their tents on the riverside, 3 ½ miles south of town today. Others will join them in a few days.
July 15, 1916
A large number of Sidney residents visited with members of Co. L. at Camp Willis over the weekend. A report from the camp indicated that 35 members of the local unit failed to pass the medical examination. Most of these men will probably be returned home in the near future.
“Parking of automobiles on this side of the street prohibited by ordinance. William O’Leary, chief of police.” This notice was tacked upon posts and trees near the hitching racks on the inside of the public square today.
July 15, 1941
The famous old landmark of the village of Port Jefferson, the flowing well, is again functioning and is giving forth a steady stream of clear, cold water. For the past six months the well has been silent. Under the direction of the village council, the well was cleaned and repaired and equipped with an electric pump to give a fuller flow of water.
A large crowd was on hand for the ninth annual hospital benefit lawn fete held last evening at South Point Park. A sum of approximately $275 was raised and will be used by the auxiliary to purchase needed supplies for Wilson Memorial Hospital.
July 15, 1966
County commissioners today formally certified to the county auditor a resolution asking for a vote next November on a proposed $650,000 bond issue for construction of a new county home.
The resolution on the proposed county home bond issue was approved after consultation with County Prosecutor Thomas Kerrigan and bond attorneys.
Passage of the issue would result in an increase in tax millage of approximately 1.2 during the first of the five years of its life.
Twenty-six boys from the six Shelby County Future Farmers of American chapters left Friday for a five-day camp session at the State FFA Camp Muskingum in Carroll County. They will return next Tuesday.
Two chapter advisers, Jerry Tangeman, Fort Loramie and Max McGowan, Fairlawn, accompanied the boys to camp.
July 15, 1991
It is a sad day in Anna. Randy Wentz just announced Wentz Chevrolet will be closing its doors. The business started in the early 1900s when Ferd Wentz operated a black shop working on buggies and carriages. He first sold Dodges and Ford cars. He switched to General Motors in 1926, and began to concentrate on the Chevrolet models in 1933.
People in the Newport area are very concerned the Ohio EPA has announced there are contaminated water sources in the area. The sources are the Reams Pond and the old Miami Erie canal. The areas affected are Cardo Road on the north and the Cyril Bergman subdivision on the south.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org